k&n panel filter, adverse affects?

mumra

Reaction score
Will replacing the standard air filter on my 1.9 tdi with a k&n panel filter have any adverse effects? I.e. fuel economy, engine management etc

Thanks
Mark

The only adverse effect I think these can sometimes have is the oil coming off them and coating the MAF sensor giving all sorts of poor running conditions but I have used them in the past and they have been fine.

Ok then so shouldn't be a prob as long as its not dripping with oil ...is it going to be worth it?

i wouldnt. the gain isnt noticeable plus the possibility of the light oil used in k+n filters possibly coating your airmass unit causing running faults.....

if your after gains save up and go get it remapped. its says something that even the people who remap 110 engines to over 130 don't specify "this is only possible with after market airfilters"?
the fact the standard airfilter can flow enough air to the engine when remapped, certainly means it wont make any difference to a non remapped engine.

The cost side isn't really the question tbh. It was more for the increased throttle response which I know changing the airfilter will give you, all be it negligible. In hindsight though this is possibly a bit pointless what with my car being an auto.

What's the sort of price on a remap? And can the auto box handle the power increase

The risk from oil on the filter is rubbish. You'll get more oil from the breather than a filter.

Slap it in and don't worry about anything.

On the plus side the filter is washable and reusable (1,000,000 mile warranty from K/N if I remember rightly) so after 3 or 4 services it will pay for its self.
The oil on the air sensor shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't over oil it. I have had plenty of K/N filters and never had a problem.

The risk from oil on the filter is rubbish. You'll get more oil from the breather than a filter.

really, ive changed several airmass units on vag cars within months of them having k+ns fitted. coincidence? you can feel the greasiness on them when you change them.

great a standard air filter is what? a tenner? and needs changing every 20k?
so you buy a k+n for £40..... buy my maths youd need to do 80K in it before it starts paying for itself..... plus a k+n cleaning/reoiling kit is a tenner.... so actually its 90k!
are you guna do 90k in your car before you sell it on?

if it does mess up the airmass any saving you might have ever made by buying a k+n is up the wall!

by the way the engine crankcase breather enters the induction system well after the air filter/airmass, so that arguement is dead.

really, ive changed several airmass units on vag cars within months of them having k+ns fitted. coincidence? you can feel the greasiness on them when you change them.

great a standard air filter is what? a tenner? and needs changing every 20k?
so you buy a k+n for £40..... buy my maths youd need to do 80K in it before it starts paying for itself..... plus a k+n cleaning/reoiling kit is a tenner.... so actually its 90k!
are you guna do 90k in your car before you sell it on?

if it does mess up the airmass any saving you might have ever made by buying a k+n is up the wall!

by the way the engine crankcase breather enters the induction system well after the air filter/airmass, so that arguement is dead.

That oil is from the breather.

I know exactly where the breathers are, I've built a 400bhp+ 1.8t and once you fit an oil catch can tha doesn't return to the TIP you'll realise how much gets pulled back through the inlet when he dv recircs.

There's very little oil on a k&n filter in the gand scheme of things.

OP didn't ask about money, asked if it had any negative issues. And the answer is no.

ive never seen or heard of any issues with a direct panel filter.... it will do the same job as the original but surely better imo.... you might even get a bit more turbo noise etc so id go for it....