What made you buy your S3/A3

Khufu

Reaction score
Just wondering what make everybody choose their Audi?

Speed, Handling, Looks or quality?

I've always prefered hatchbacks and liked the solid feel and looks of the car.

When it first came out it looked the nuts- i first saw it in imola yellow and fell in love with it- had to wait 4 years b4 getting one though.

didnt wanna join the band wagon of beemer drivers too!

never looked back.

Always liked them. Top quality build, understated looks (not a chav magnet), no flash git badge snobbery, small but practical, fast but smooth and safe, girlfriend likes it and can drive it no problems. Also was a massive Audi fan back in the rally glory days of the 80's. Would love to have a UR Quattro but I'll save that for my dream garage along with the new RS4 and a TVR /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
When it first came out it looked the nuts- i first saw it in imola yellow and fell in love with it- had to wait 4 years b4 getting one though

[/ QUOTE ]

Me likewise. Test drove one in late 1999, also Imola, got mine in Nogaro in March 2004.
I knew I was going to chip it so the 4x4 was important.
I don't like the Mk4 Golf, didn't want a Leon Cupra R (despite me owning an Ibiza for 8 years), so the S3 was the best from the VAG stable.
An Evo or an STi is quicker - I wanted something fast but reasonably subtle that had some practicality. S3 ticks all the boxes.

Well I test drove the S3 first and loved it - for the speed and refinement

Then I tried to convince myself to buy something else - just as a test , so I test drove everything I could

Lexus IS200, Toyoya MR2 , Honda S2000 etc etc

It was a toss up between the lexus and the s3 - the s3 won because Alan partridge started driving a Lexus lol

So I took the S3 out again and bought it -

Understated class, quick , refined ,subtle styling, not brash and once chipped feels like a new car again after 2 and a half years

in short i didnt like the TT coupe i went to buy.

so i ordered its lighter brother, with better seats, the S3.

and then later on i bought another new one.

Azure blue A3 1.8 T sport with caractere bodykit

Overall quality of the A3, and the drive was so nice and smooth after driving Vauxhalls and Renaults. The power steering was amazingly light and responsive. And the car was set off so well by the bodykit, so had to be done really.

I had a J-reg Mk2 Golf 16v for years and loved it to pieces. However it was metallic black with black leather and no aircon (and getting on a bit) so eventually it had to go. That and i was beginning to get nervous about the whole no airbags/early '80s crash technology thing.

Then just found it really hard to find another car with the same blend of handily small size, practicality, speed and subtle but cool looks. Tried all sorts of things but ended up buying an ming-blue A3 1.8T quattro which was absolutely spot on as a replacement.

And then when it came to needing to replace that, I'd liked it so much and didn't much care for the new A3 2.0TQ so i bought a late low-mileage S3 instead and am delighted with it. Nogaro blue is perhaps less subtle but sometimes restrained good taste can be a touch tedious.

I had to get a car with 4 useable seats as I have a young'en to fit in the back. I wanted 4 wheel drive - as I have never had one before and thought this would be useful. I have always liked fast cars (Previous including MR2 Turbo, Type-R, Classic 911, CRX SiR) this time I wanted some opulence so I looked at Audi's. The cars included A4 3.0 and the 2.5TDi S4 and the S3. The ordinary A4's just didn't do for me in the engine dept, the S4 drank too much fuel (but did have 4 doors) The S3 just seemed to have it all (except for rear doors - but the fronts are so big it's not so a job to get Ethan in).
So it has
Speed
Class
Opulence
Subtlety - (well no spoilers etc but it is in yellow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )
4 Wheel drive
great stereo
and in my case very well looked after
it is not a BMW

having being a petrol head for many years, i test drove a 306 D-Turbo sport, and it blow me away, thinking that diesels were sluggish etc etc... still got it today and runs like the day i brought it which doesnt normally happen with pugs lol, anyway loved the A3/S3 awhile back and one came up at a local dealer, took it out for a test drive this being the TDi Quatty sport, and i was very very impressed!!! So went to Seat, VW etc.. and no comparision, luvd the drive of the diesel with the haldex, test drove it a fews times and in the wet, thats what sold it for me, plus the fact of 47MPG resale value (quite rare) and build, luv it to bits, just need a brake upgrade and remap soon...