Bulb warning Help!

mikemk4gti

Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread, But thought I'd concentrate on this only in this one.
I have the warning on the dash as soon as the brake pedal is pressed, Originally the third brake light only had about 3 bulbs working so I replaced all the faulty ones for new 1.2w bulbs, This hasnt cured the problem. I checked the other 2 and they are ok, I changed the N/S one just to make sure (couldnt get to the O/S) but still the same. I then got another bulb and wired it in parallel so the circuit drew more current but it still didnt get the light off the dash, Its doing my head in now.
I Have now noticed that switching the xenons on also causes the warning to appear.
I checked the voltage to the third brake light and it was 11.2v, battery voltage was 12.1v so theres some loss there.
Anybody have any ideas what it could be? bad earth maybe?

Hi Mike.

Have you checked any calcium/gunk build up on the switches that the bulbs connect to? I had a very similar problem that was easily rectified by removing the switches and carefully scrapping off. the muck. This is a consistent and common problem on cars this age and with this model of car.

Just reach in the boot areas, unplug both light fittings from each rear wing, remove bulbs, grab a flat head screwdriver and gently scrap the muck off. Hopefully this will work and resolve your issue.

I chucked out a few bulbs before realising it was mucky connectors.

Unusual for this problem with xenon bulbs though and possibly points towards other electrical fault.

Yeah I have had a look and they appear ok, no white corrosion on the pins or contacts

Yessssss!!
Just been out in the car, didn't notice at first but it's gone off and now shows what radio station is on. Also ok when the xenons are on :)