how to fit vacuum actuator

mm707

Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone have any idea what kind of job it is to fit a new vacuum actuator/unit on the inlet manifold ?

Apparently there's a diaphram in this that splits and a new part is only about £10 ish .

It is attached to the front side of the inlet manifold ( so I am informed )

It looks like a possible cure for intermittant underboost and stuttering.

Many thanks

Yes the actuator is situated on the front of the inlet manifold, you have to take the manifold off the car to replace the actuator as there is a round pin which attaches the arm of the actuator to the variable manifold valves and to remove the actuator and fit a new one you have to turn the whole vacuum actuator 180 degrees and slips off the pin it's difficult to explain but obvious when laid in front of you. It is a simple job to do if you are competent with scanners etc I'm no mechanic and I did mine.
It did cure my mates A4 with his stuttering issue but hasn't cured mine so am still looking for a different fault so its worth trying as cheap fix :) also worth cleaning the egr valve whilst all apart and cleaning the variable valves on inlet manifold make sure free to turn.
hope that helped
good luck mate.

Yes the actuator is situated on the front of the inlet manifold, you have to take the manifold off the car to replace the actuator as there is a round pin which attaches the arm of the actuator to the variable manifold valves and to remove the actuator and fit a new one you have to turn the whole vacuum actuator 180 degrees and slips off the pin it's difficult to explain but obvious when laid in front of you. It is a simple job to do if you are competent with scanners etc I'm no mechanic and I did mine.
It did cure my mates A4 with his stuttering issue but hasn't cured mine so am still looking for a different fault so its worth trying as cheap fix :) also worth cleaning the egr valve whilst all apart and cleaning the variable valves on inlet manifold make sure free to turn.
hope that helped
good luck mate.

Thank you very much - one other thing - will I need any replacement gasgets ?

thanks again

You are meant to be replace the gaskets when take it all apart, there are two for the egr valve and one gasket for inlet manifold to the head, they are only cheap from audi. When I did mine I just inspected the gaskets and cleaned them amped used the old ones and all seems fine :)

sorry to hijack the thread (saves making a new one).........but the guy at audi told me that when the actuator is changed it has to have the "basic settings" added on vcds ???
Anyone know how this is done ?......i was hoping to find an old thread that gave a good breakdown on how its done, but cant find anything :-/