Audi A3 1.8T 1998 AGU Build !!!

Got round to making my New Coolant Pipe today ready for test fitting. I had to keep one end of the pipe because it sits inside the block with a o ring and i could not find this part anywhere on it own to buy so i just cut that end off cleaned it up a bit and replaced the o ring with a new one.

Old Bit Of Coolant Pipe That Sits Inside The Block Without O Ring :

IMG 2364
IMG 2366

Cleaned Up Bit Of Coolant Pipe That Sits Inside The Block Attached To New Stainless Steel Braided Hose Fitted With New O Ring:

IMG 2449
IMG 2445

Whole New Coolant Pipe All Clamped Up Ready For Test Fitting :

IMG 2450
IMG 2447

IMG 2446

Old Coolant Pipe Compared To The New Coolant Pipe :

Collant pipe new vs old

Just got to see tomorrow if it all fits without fouling on anything like the inlet manifold :think:.

Started this morning off with the test fitting of the New Coolant pipe i had made. Got the end that sits inside the block all greased up so the new o ring would slide in alot easier :idea:.

IMG 2473
IMG 2475
IMG 2472

What is the need for the "uprated" pipe mate

The reason why i am uprating this coolant pipe is because the old pipe had a split in it like i said previously in my build thread.

I could of replaced the coolant pipe for a new standard one but the old coolant pipe was so badly rusted and i didnt want this to happen again and as all the other pipes on the engine had been uprated to either stainless steel braided hose or silicone hose i thought i might aswell keep it all uprated and matching.

Tiny Hole In Coolant Pipe :

IMG 2286

Badly Rusted Coolant Pipe :

IMG 2419

the original metal one bolted to the block to secure it in place. How are you going to do that with this contraption?

Alright SuperKarl im gonna try and use some of these Hose Clamps to secure the pipe to the block and hold it all in place.

KGrHqJHJBIE921qEYBPITwtuw60 35

If these Clamps do not work i will be making some of my own :arco:.

Reactions: superkarl
I managed to get the New Coolant Pipe with the New O Ring sat nice and snug in the block everything was a bit tight but i think i am going to just get away with it once its all crimped in place and the jubliee clips are removed.

New Coolant Pipe with the New O Ring sat nice and snug in the block :

IMG 2476
IMG 2478
IMG 2480
IMG 2481

I had the New coolant pipe fitted with no leaks so far so thought i would install the New Silicone Crankcase Breather hose and just test fit the Inlet Manifold to make sure no pipes or anything was fouling.

IMG 2489

The Cam Cover Hose fitted perfectly and the Hockey Puck Hose fitted even better than i thought it would :o.k:.

IMG 2487

When i was fitting the Locking Pin that holds the Crankcase Breather in place i could feel that it was really loose and not holding it in place properly.

IMG 2485

Nearly fix one problem and then create another :banghead: . So thats why its not locking in place a piece has snapped off :keule:.

IMG 2483
IMG 2484

Had my new Oil Filter Housing arrive this morning that i managed to source from a breakers on Ebay for £20 delivered.

Oil Filter Housing (Part Number : 06A 115 417)

IMG 2521
IMG 2520
IMG 2522
IMG 2523

Quick clean on the New Oil Filter Housing with a bit of Autoglym Engine and Machine Cleaner and a Steam Cleaner the Oil Filter Housing cleaned up pretty well.

IMG 2530
IMG 2529
IMG 2525
IMG 2526
Difference

I had my Brand New K&N Oil Filter turn up this morning so i now hopefully have everything to get the car back on the road :anbet:.

Brand New K&N Oil Filter £11 :

IMG 2627
IMG 2628
IMG 2629
IMG 2630
IMG 2631

The weather wasn't looking to good out there this morning to get out there and drain all the oil and change the oil filter housing so i decieded to finish off polishing the spare throttle body i had so it would match the polished inlet manifold :jump:.

Weather not looking to good outside :

Security Cam Pic

When i first received my spare Throttle Body it was in pretty rough condition where someone had sprayed it with Hammerite Black Paint and it was all scratched and peeling off so i decieded to give it a little sand down and polish it the best i could to match the Inlet Manifold.

Spare Throttle Body When I First Received It :

IMG 2179
IMG 2180
IMG 2181
IMG 2182

After a little sand down on the spare Throttle Body with a dremel and wire brush on the end the Throttle Body soon looked alot cleaner. Then i went over it with a bit of AutoGlym Metal Polish and a polishing pad on the end of the dremel.

Spare Throttle Body After Little Bit Of Polishing :

IMG 2377
IMG 2374
IMG 2372
IMG 2373
IMG 21792

Thought i would test fit the Gasket for the New Polished Throttle Body onto the New Polished Inlet Manifold and to see if it looked ok and not out of place.

New Polished Throttle Body On The New Polished Inlet Manifold :

IMG 2605
IMG 2606
IMG 2607
IMG 2608
IMG 2609
IMG 2610

As i was in a bit of a polishing mood i thought i would give the Custom 3" Alloy MAF a quick polish aswell :lmfao:.

Custom 3" Alloy MAF Before Polishing :

IMG 24112
IMG 2412

Custom 3" Alloy MAF After Polishing :

IMG 2611
IMG 2612
IMG 2411

Thought i might aswell clean the Blue Air Filter and ASH Heat Sheilding aswell so they are ready to go back on all clean.

3" Custom MAF With Blue Air Filter And ASH Heat Sheilding :

IMG 2618
IMG 2619
IMG 2621
IMG 2620
IMG 2622

I have been meaning to move my dump valve onto the charge pipe for a while now so thought it was about time. A good friend of mine said he would be able to get the charge pipe welded for next to nothing so off it went :doctor:.

Charge Pipe With A 25mm Adaptor All Welded Up :

IMG 2356
IMG 2357
IMG 2358
IMG 2359
IMG 2362

Thought I Might Aswell Give It A Little Polish Aswell Lol :photo:.

IMG 2614
IMG 2615
IMG 2616
IMG 2617

Finally got all the Old Oil drained and the Old Oil Filter Housing removed. Thought i would take some pictures before i removed the Sandwich Plate so i would know which Coolant Pipes went to where.

IMG 2637
IMG 2638

Old Oil Filter Housing Removed :

IMG 2639
IMG 2640

Got the Old Oil Filter Housing removed and had to change the Bracket which holds the Knock Sensors and a coupe of other wires in place on to the New Oil Filter Housing.

Bracket Installed On New Oil Filter Housing :

IMG 2649

While i had the Sandwich Plate removed i thought i might aswell give it the cleaning treatment before it goes back on lol :meeting:.

Sandwich Plate When It Was Removed From The Car :

IMG 2641
IMG 2642
IMG 2643

Sandwich Plate After A Quick Clean :

IMG 2646
IMG 2647
IMG 2648
IMG 26431

By the time i had finished my quick cleaning session on the Sandwich Plate it was starting to get a bit dark outside but i was determined to getthe New Oil Fiter Housing on :thumbs up:.

Old Oil Filter Housing Gasket Removed :

IMG 2650

New Oil Filter Housing Gasket Installed With A Bit Of Gasket Sealent And New Oil Filter Housing Installed On Top.

IMG 2651

Sandwich Plate Re Installed With New K&N Oil Filter :

IMG 2653

I have always thought my Oil Sump has been leaking a little bit but once i got underneath the car and had a good look it did not look like the Oil Sump had been leaking at all. I think it must of been where the Old Oil Filter Housing had been leaking and running down onto the Oil Sump. But i thought i would go round the edge of the Oil Sump with some New Gasket Sealent just to make sure :yes:.

IMG 2658
IMG 2659

Thought i might aswell get these 034 Motorsport Solid Shift Cable Bushes installed while evrything was off and easy to get to :o.k:.

034 Motorsport Solid Shift Cable Bushes :

IMG 2465
IMG 2466
IMG 2655
IMG 2657

Old Gear Shift Mount Bushes :

IMG 2662

New 034 Motorsport Solid Bushes Compared To Old Rubber Bushes :

IMG 2666
IMG 2667

New 034 Motorsport Solid Shift Cable Bushes Installed :

IMG 2668
IMG 2669
IMG 26621

I have always had a problem with my Knock Sensor 2 (Error Code G66 Signal Too Low P0332 Intermittent) so thought i would give the Knock Sensors a good clean up before they go back on and i torque them to 20nm. If i still get the Error Code after cleaning the Knock Sensors i will be replacing with new ones.

Knock Sensor 1 All Cleaned Up :

IMG 2671
IMG 2670

Knock Sensor 2 All Cleaned Up :

IMG 2673
IMG 2672

Knock Sensor 1 & Knock Sensor 2 All Cleaned Up :

IMG 2675

Took a little trip over to my local Pirtek today to get my New Coolant Pipe all crimped up but to my disappointment they could not crimp it up due to all the fittings being brass and being too soft to crimp:3sadwalk:. So i will leave it how it is for now then be trying to source some 19mm Steel T Pieces so i can eventually get them all crimped up nice. But they did manage to knock me up a New Piece Of Pipe with an o ringthat sits inside the Engine Block thanks Pirtek :applaus:.

New Piece Of Pipe With An O Ring That Sits Inside The Engine Block :

IMG 2683
IMG 2681
IMG 2682

New Piece Of Pipe That Sits Inside The Engine Block Compare To The Old One :

IMG 2686
IMG 2685
IMG 2684

Went over to see some top blokes over at Pirtek today and they Crimped the end of the Pipe that they had made up for me. But they Customised the crimp for me and cut it down to half way so there was no chance of it fouling on the Engine Block.

IMG 2698
IMG 2699
IMG 2700

New Pipe That Sits Inside The Engine Block Made By Pirtek And Custom Crimped By Pirtek With Plenty Of Room :thumbs up:.

IMG 2701

I have decided to go for a different approach on this New Coolant Pipe as i was not able to get the brass fittings crimped i thought i might aswell go all out and just use the AN - Anodised Fittings. I was going to take this approach from the start but the price of the AN -Fittings are stupidly high so thought i would be able to get around it slightly cheaper but in the end this was not the case but you learn from your mistakes lol :lmfao:.

AN -12 Straight Swivel x3 : £23.85

IMG 2710

Motamec AN -12 Flare Union T-Piece x1 : £12.83

IMG 2711  57

I got all the AN - 12 Fittings and AN - 12 T Piece all fitted together not all done right up just ready for test fitting to make sure everthing fits in nicely :think:.

IMG 2717
IMG 2718
IMG 2719

Thought i would have a quick test fit of the New Coolant Pipe i was making on the car to make sure everything was in place. I have moved the original T Piece along a bit from its original position as the New AN - Fittings were so big so hopefully where they are now i will just get away with it not fouling on anything but its gonna be tight once the Inlet Manifold is back on :faint:.

IMG 2721
IMG 2723
IMG 2722