Front speaker Installation......

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Right guys i need some serious help, I've posted this in the ICE section but its very slow on their lol.

I'M completely oblivious to any kind of ICE, I really don't have a clue lol, I'M more on the mechanical side lol.

So I have a 2000 plate audi s3 non bose and with the standard HU, both the front speakers have blown and I've gone and bought Andymac's speaker adaptors and so FLI 5.25" speakers and tweeters.

Now what I need to know is:

Can I just use the old speaker wiring? Can i remove the old speakers and tweeters and then just drop the new ones in? The FLI kit comes with a crossover, do i have to fit this? if so does that mean i have to rip out the existing speaker wiring all the way back to the HU?

Sorry for sounding simple but ICE just is not my thing but I am trying to learn, lol.​

Yup, you can use the original wiring but will probably need to cut off the speaker plug and crimp on some more generic speaker connectors. Either that, or solder directly to the speaker... Best getting a few meters of speaker wire if you dont have any, as you may need it.

If your speakers came with crossovers, then you really need to use them. If not, the full frequency signal will blow the delicate tweeters. I fitted mine using some velcro to the polystyrene bits near the back of the door. You'll see where once youve taken the door cards off.

This is so simple. How ever i would have aimed higher on the quality front. But to each their own.
You will need about 1mtr of speaker wire.If your using the factory wires... dont bother with big speaker wire... as the ones that go to the head unit are mega thin

Paul i really aint that bothered on speakers etc, aslong as it plays music i dont give a ****, ICE really does not entertain me.

So is it best to wire the speakers and tweeters into the crossover then the crossover into the HU?

Paul i really aint that bothered on speakers etc, aslong as it plays music i dont give a ****, ICE really does not entertain me.

So is it best to wire the speakers and tweeters into the crossover then the crossover into the HU?

Yeah, the crossover should have pretty clear instructions as to what to wire up and where. Make sure you respect the +ve and -ve though, as you can cancel out sound and lose a lot of base if youre unlucky.

Ok thanks mate, the instructions just show the speaker and tweeter connecting to the crossover, then the crossover to a amp which i dont have, so could i just connect the cross over wires to the old speaker wires or run the crossover wires all the way to the HU? Told you im ****e with ICE lol.

I could be wrong, but I think it's wire from the HU into the crossover, which splits the signal into high and low frequency. High freq to the tweeter, low freq to door speaker. Hope that helps?

You shouldn't need an amp for the fronts, as the HU puts out plenty for them

The amp just means input signal in that instance. Nogmeister is bamg on both counts above... :icon_thumright:

Take the pooey Fli's back to Halfrauds, and get yourself some Alpines or Infinitys for around £35-40 off ebay, built in tweeters, no fuss. Nip the cables off the old, and plug in the new. Sorted for e's and whizz

I got the fli'd off ebay haha. They really that ****e?

Theres a reason that halfords is littered with them mate. £40 really aint that much, the last Infinitys i had were nothing less than awesome.

I wouldn't use the stock wiring for the fronts, isn't there a capacitor hidden in the loom somewhere to cut the low freq to the stock tweeter?

If you've got it all apart anyway you may as well run some new speaker wire, use the crossovers that came with the speakers, make sure you use some sound insulation behind the speakers and it should sound good. Hide the crossovers behind the footwell panel.

Cheers PT.

Nog, it werent anything todo with money mate, i just saw these where the right size and thought FLI was a okish make lol. for £30 im just going to give it ago fitting them, if i ****** it up ill buy what you said, end of day my current speakers are blown so aint like im going to damage them or miss them haha.

As said dan. They arent the best but i see that as two fold... 1 i like my music so wanted the best sound i could and 2 i like to fit and forget things. so buy the best quality i can manage.