Gearbox Removal Help

rraghvani

Whoever does not try, does not learn.
Reaction score
Website
audi-sport.net
Over the weekend I have managed to successfully remove my entire sub frame, along with the appropriate cables/wires etc. to gain easy access to my transmission so that I can replace my clutch and flywheel. Both front drive shafts have been removed, along with the annoying 6mm hex bolt inside the flange shaft on the driver side, propshaft is connected to the bevel box – which I’m not intending to remove.

I will be using an engine support beam and what I would like to know, is it possible to only undo the gearbox mounts, and slightly lower the engine while the engine mount is still connected?

Last edited:
There is a degree of movement in the engine mount but not loads... generally never need to lower the engine much if at all to get a gearbox out... I assume you have undone the bevel box from the gearbox even though you are leaving in place? that will make it easier to remove for sure..

<tuffty/>

Hello <tuffty/>,

Thanks for the response, I won't bother lowering the engine then. From what I've had read, the "degree" of movement was around 60 to 100mm (ElsaWeb - VAG Audi Å koda Seat Volkswagen Online Repair Manuals replacing engine/gearbox mounts). I will undo the four bolts that holds the bevel box to the gearbox, I haven't forgotten about that.