Rear anti roll bar.

chrisa4quat

Reaction score
Just did a once over and a quick oil change today and found rear anti roll bar cracked. I can remember reading about changing the standard one for an rs4. Has anyone got part numbers as rang our local dealer and they asked for a registration? Didn't want to use a customers. Thanks in advance. I can't find relevant info using search.

In Greece at the mo only 30' at midnight but I got mine from tps but do get the whole kit which will include the larger size bushes

Maybe search for sway bar anyway yes it really does make big difference even with a Quattro.
Ok must turn the aircon up
cheers

A great mod. Totally transforms the handling, with no noticeable effect on the ride. So cheap, too.

1 x RS4 Rear Anti-Roll Bar (Part #8E0511409AL)
2 x RS4 Rear ARB Bushings (Part #8E0511327D)
2 x Bushing Brackets (Part #8E0511439)
4 x Bolts for Brackets (Part #N10127707)
2 x Bolts for ARB links (Part #N10528103)
2 x Drop Links (Part #8E0505465AF)

Reactions: Phantom_A4
Want to do this some time soon. How difficult is it to replace the rear ARB on a Quattro? Also for some reason I just can't imagine this making such a big difference.

Want to do this some time soon. How difficult is it to replace the rear ARB on a Quattro? Also for some reason I just can't imagine this making such a big difference.

It's just as easy to do on a Quattro as it is on a front-wheel-drive. As to the difference it makes, trust me (and everyone else on here who has done it) it is huge. Increasing the rear roll stiffness relative to the front reduces understeer and makes the car much more responsive and agile in corners. The standard size bar is 16mm for an SE, and 18mm for an S-Line. The RS4 bar is 24mm thick, and when that is translated into roll stiffness, it's almost double (I'm sure there's a physics or engineering graduate out there who can give the arithmetical reasons why).

When replacing a arb you will need to drop the rear exhaust ...mine was done by a local garage and they charged £30 but I supplied the parts...watched them do it,looked pretty straight foreword .

I did have the same thoughts..what could it change but believe me and the other countless members on this site

It really does make the back end really stiff and you will lose a lot of the roll when going in and out of tight corners with no loss to the ride or comfort...... For less than £100 get it over with and thank us later.

The standard size bar is 16mm for an SE, and 18mm for an S-Line. The RS4 bar is 24mm thick.

I just rang Audi to order the bits to do mine, they said the largest ARB they had listed was 22mm, which I seem to remember being right?

SE = 16mm
S-line = 18mm
S4 = 20mm
RS4 = 22mm

I could have this wrong though... anyone confirm if the RS4 is 22 or 24mm before I pick mine up??

I just rang Audi to order the bits to do mine, they said the largest ARB they had listed was 22mm, which I seem to remember being right?

SE = 16mm
S-line = 18mm
S4 = 20mm
RS4 = 22mm

I could have this wrong though... anyone confirm if the RS4 is 22 or 24mm before I pick mine up??

I think i'm right in saying when Audi moved from the B6 to the B7 shape, the S4 & RS4 had the same bar...

SE = 16mm
S-line = 18mm
B6 S4 = 20mm
B7 S4 = 22mm
B7 RS4 = 22mm

Altho I tell people I have an RS4 RARB... see below vvvvvvvvvv lol!

goose

Last edited:
Goose, I just googled "VW Karmann Ghia", that's one awesome looking car! Especially with chrome hub-caps...

Thanks JJ, it's a bit of a basket-case at the mo... have slowly been buying up NOS panels, and the bottom 6 inches all the way round needs repairing. Am seriously thinking of a new dry shell from thesamba.com and getting shipmycar.com to bring it over!

Will try to get some piccies up
Cheers
beerchug.gif

goose

Anyone know what the 'Specified torque' is for the bracket bolts? Also is it necessary to use a torque wrench or is a normal socket safe? Trying to avoid buying a torque wrench for the sake of these 4 bolts...

Anyone know what the 'Specified torque' is for the bracket bolts? Also is it necessary to use a torque wrench or is a normal socket safe? Trying to avoid buying a torque wrench for the sake of these 4 bolts...

Also, IIRC, the bolts should be tightened with the suspension under load, i.e. taking the car's weight, so on ramps rather than a jack.

Cheers guys. Turns out, after getting it up on the ramps, that I don't have the necessary tool to remove the additional support struts on the cab so will have to get a garage to do the fitting. It looks like a really large torx bolt but with more points on it... anyone know what it is??

If you really want to, you could come down to mine (in Leicester) this Sunday or when you're free as I have the tool (although not sure what size you need) and a pair of ramps I'd be more than happy for you to use.

I'd be intrigued as to see how it's all done anyway as I'd like to do it on mine at some point (although mine is a Quattro).

Last edited:
So you can actually make a Quattro handle better.
Mine does under steer, but that's in the wet and I put it down to crap tyres.
So, another stealth type mod to do then. I like my car looking as standard as possible, but the performance to **** others off.
Brad.

So, another stealth type mod to do then. I like my car looking as standard as possible, but the performance to **** others off.
Brad.

Fit an RS4 rear anti-roll bar, and get some decent tyres on it. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Brad.
you can start making it handle better by binning the crap tyres!!