rns-e i pod ????

vr6gordy

Reaction score
i have my ipod connected into my rns-e using a dension interface but it only says the track number ... is there a gadgit out there i can get to show the song and artist ???????

i have my ipod connected into my rns-e using a dension interface but it only says the track number ... is there a gadgit out there i can get to show the song and artist ???????
Short answer - no.

If you want a decent iPod interface there are only 2 options:

1) Alpine KCE-425i connected to a multimedia interface, with the VIM hack done to the RNS-E (as this displays the iPod video signal).

2) Swap the RNS-E to a 2010+ one (which means getting a TT or A3 one and swapping the faceplate) and then instead of the CD changer in the glovebox fit a CAN version of AMI (Audi Music Interface) with an iPod interface lead.

Sorry - but there's no easy way to get a decent iPod interface on the B6 or B7.

You could always do what I did, bin the RNSE and fit a kenwood or similar, the RNSE is far too basic compared to other aftermarket alternatives, ok not eom but with the correct faceplate ect looks just as good.

why would i bin it i only just got it last week

Not literally "bin" I just found the RNSE very basic compared to my kenwood system,ie the kenwood has full iPod DVD player Bluetooth and digital t.v. Although the tv is a separate module, it also does zone control where you can split the sound source from front to back great if you have kids in the back watching a DVD and I want iPod or radio in the front and of course sat nav by garmin overall in my opinion a far better unit than the RNSE, I must say that at AITP this year I was very surprised how many cars full custom and some just nicely modded had ditched the RNSE and gone for aftermarket units of some description, I have a RNSE here that will go back in the car when I sell but as said in my opinion the kenwood suited my needs better.

Which kenwood unit do you have? I've been considering an rnse for a while but as you say the basic features put me off a little. However, the oem look is what's winning at them moment.

Shame you can't do better ipod interface though.

iv got the ipod dock factory fitted
just track number
i not ***** either way track number or name
as i know whats playing when i listen to it.

Which kenwood unit do you have? I've been considering an rnse for a while but as you say the basic features put me off a little. However, the oem look is what's winning at them moment.

Shame you can't do better ipod interface though.

I have a kenwood DNX5220 an old unit now and the later ones have a much better sat nav ie photo junctions,lane assist ect i know not OEM but not too far off looking in my opinion, i have seen some badly fitted units but this sits nice and with the colour range got a exact match to the dash lights.

003.jpg

I agree, I think that's one of the nicer ones I've seen! I think I may have to look at some non-oem should I consider upgrading.

Thanks for the pics!

Anyone ever thought of a carpc?

I have will have spare components soon and would only need a 7 inch touch screen and you can get all sorts of software for running sat nav and all music can just be stored on the hard drive!

You can even run android on them too so could use google maps and stuff

I was considering a Google Nexus 7 recently, it does all you mention and only costs £159. Plus, if you were clever you could remove it and use it as a tablet still when not in the computer.

You'd be limited by internal storage, but I think there's a USB OTG hack for it, and you'd also need to tether to your phone as there's no sim option...but at £159 it's worth considering if you're going down the carputer route.

£159 is probably what it would cost me for the screen and other little bits so its all worth a thought