Flickering Headlight - Please Help!!

KGB

Reaction score
Hi,

I wondered if anyone else had had the same problem as i currently have with my 2002 A4 and could shed any light on how to fix it?

The problem i have is that the dipped headlight on the drivers side has started to flicker on and off at anytime it likes, i obviously notice it most when its parked up outside the house, the car has normal halogen headlights, it is only the dipped beam lamp on the drivers side which is affected, no other lights on the car are doing this, all other electrics in the car work as normal and the car starts and drives as normal.

When the light flickers into life it is a dimmer light than when it is switched on using the switch, the light will flicker for 10 - 20 seconds then stays on for a while then starts to flicker again. There is no set pattern to the cycle though switching on the ignition and then the lights using the switch and then switching off again will put the light off but after a few minutes it flickers back to life! If i start the car and drive with dipped beam headlights on they work perfectly, drive with only the side lights on and the same dipped beam headlight can start to flicker lol.

Has anyone experienced a similar fault? Can anyone point me in direction of where to look to repair?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really like the way the car drives but i've only had it 10 months and already spent more than it cost on repairs and i need to draw a line somewhere lol, can anyone save the car from the crusher??!!

Thanks.

I'm sure you won't scrap a car for a flickering headlight!

Have you tried a new bulb? That's the easiest and quickest thing to eliminate I'd think.

As above and I would check the electrical plug is on correctly and is free from corrosion and moisture.

Cheers guys, yeah changed the bulb, my knuckles show the scars to prove! Thought i'd fixed it too, it let me put everything back together, wash my hands, get back in the car and seatbelt on before starting to flicker again lol, though at 10.30pm on a saturday night when it was packed full of stuff ready for a 6.00am start the next day i wasn't laughing!

What about the fuses. Sounds crazy but check they are ok and seated properly.

I used to get intermittent key remote issues and since making sure the associated fuse was sitting fully home its been fine......it's a tip I got on another forum.