R8 style DRL's for S3....possible?

JMZ

Reaction score
Hey all,

Is it possible to get R8 style daytime running lights for the S3 (8P)? If so, is there an Audi part number?

You can get varying degrees of eBay 'Specials', but I think anything other then the OEM 8P3 DRL's looks a bit of a bodge.

Personally think your car deserve better. If you want the headlights do the 8P3 facelift. Dont go and ruin your 8P2 S3 front end by removing the bi xenons to be put some tacky ebay led headlights in. Obviously thats just my opinion, each to their own and shizzle. If you do decide to do it i'll have your xenons :happy:

If you really want you can do what a guy has done in the states and have the Audi A4 DRLs ported into the a3 headlight... Quite a fair bit of work but looks so nice!

Only seen two cars so far, looks like a very nice mod. I wish someone would make a guide.

IMG_1726ed.jpg

7560245530_391bac529d_b.jpg

You can get varying degrees of eBay 'Specials', but I think anything other then the OEM 8P3 DRL's looks a bit of a bodge.

I completely agree Warren. I was hoping there was an OEM product and it seems there is.

Personally think your car deserve better. If you want the headlights do the 8P3 facelift. Dont go and ruin your 8P2 S3 front end by removing the bi xenons to be put some tacky ebay led headlights in........

my current (stock) setup has the horrible yellow coloured DRL's.....so basically the parker lights are the DRL's. not a great look. is this the bi-xenon setup you're referring too Ash?

Thanks for your input.

The lights I was talking about are the ones that snipe has posted a picture of

As for your oem DRLs you can change the bulbs to some led ones with a resistor in place and it will look much better, here is a thread that i posted up a year ago with the details of the bulbs i have in mine:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...-bulbs-replace-halogen-drl-4.html#post1357831

And this is what they look like with the led bulbs

fc752a88.jpg

7860f6eb.jpg

5676de20.jpg

Only seen two cars so far, looks like a very nice mod. I wish someone would make a guide.

IMG_1726ed.jpg

7560245530_391bac529d_b.jpg

that guy its the one that ported the a4 drls, so don't expect the same brightness from ebay specials

he bought the ebay lights then ported the DRL LEDS over to it. yeaaaaaaaaaa

i think i prefer the ported A4 DRL's instead of the LED's but that's personal preference. however they both look good.

Were LED's the only solution to your problem Ash? Can you get blue halogens or are these the broken MTec ones you posted in that thread?

Well to be honest I also prefer the a4 DRLs but it's a manual job and not an easy one to get the DRLs in the headlight and still have it road legal... The ones I have are the oem bi-xenon headlights with the bulbs upgraded.
The other thing is that I didn't want to have a blue bulb in the headlight when the lights are switched off, so I chose to go for the led as its also much brighter. No the mtec bulbs were giving me trouble so as I wrote in the other thread I replaced them with the led bulb to give it a better look.

I'll see what i can find in the way of a plug and play replacement bulb for the current bi-xenon setup. the alternative options sound far too expensive and labour intensive for my liking!

That is my car with the leds. If you have any questions let me know.

Well 1 question I have... When will you start offering these headlights out as something we could buy? Or show us how it's done so someone cold maybe try to do the same?

The lights were custom made by a independent shop here in toronto. I bought the china ebay LED headlights and then sourced 3 2009 a4 led headlights that were costing me almost nothing. The main work that was really hard to do was to cut out the led strip from the china ebay headlights and then fit in the OEM a4 leds. Once that was done all of the new parts for the projector was installed. This is a really expensive mod if you can't find oem a4 headlights for cheap. If you can then you will have to find a custom headlight builder and have them rebuild the china ebay headlights with the new parts. sorry for the late reply, just been really busy.

Here is a pic when the lights are off:

IMG_1747ed.jpg

And in really bright daylight:

620418_10151113290217356_583430039_o.jpg

Last edited: