The 2.0 FSI

neil_1821

Reaction score
I've been looking at some Audi A3's

The diesels seems expensive and suffer with a few problems, so i've been looking at the 2.0 FSI

Is there anyway to make these a bit more responsive/pokey?
I've got a MK3 2.0 16v at the minute and if i put my foot down to the floor it pulls like a train all the way through the gears. I treid this in the audi earlier and it just seemed like a bit of a slug, i put my foot onto the floor and waitied, nothing happened :shrug:

Is the 2.0 FSi not the best choice for the A3?

Get the s3 mate. Absolutely brilliant. But crap on fuel:arco:

I should state I was looking at buying an A3 because I have to travel over 15,000 miles a year and was hoping to save on fuel costs compared to my MK3 :laugh:

You'll probably find the refinement and extra weight the A3 carries over the Mk3 will mean it feels a bit less pokey. Anything without a 'T' in the title these days is likely to feel slow as manufacturers have added a good few kgs in the last 10 years! It's only since they've woken up to fuel economy and really got into the eco mindset that you'll see the weights coming back down.

Get the tfsi mate good engine, perhaps not the Quattro it's good but more to go wrong.. 197 bhp is good to start the add a remap for the extra 40 odd when you get bored.. 😜 fuel economy wise there is little between the fsi and tfsi a mile or 3 tops...

Ive just sold my mk4 anniversary it was a 1.8t and was running 221 bhp
It broke down a few times and I had issues with the n75 valve
I decided to buy something a bit more refined and simple so I have just bought a 2.0 Fsi
performance wise it's not a patch on the golf but the economy is miles better,
dont know if I'll stick with it or go back to an A4 tdi,

You'll probably find the refinement and extra weight the A3 carries over the Mk3 will mean it feels a bit less pokey. Anything without a 'T' in the title these days is likely to feel slow as manufacturers have added a good few kgs in the last 10 years! It's only since they've woken up to fuel economy and really got into the eco mindset that you'll see the weights coming back down.

2.0 FSI is rated to do 38mpg

2.0 TFSI is rated to do 35mpg

I don't know what the real world figures are for each of these on a good long run, my MK3 golf is rated to do 32mpg but i can average 40mpg easily on a long run. I've had upto 49mpg keeping it at 70mph!

I think I'll find that hard to beat

I don't know what the real world figures are for each of these on a good long run, my MK3 golf is rated to do 32mpg but i can average 40mpg easily on a long run. I've had upto 49mpg keeping it at 70mph!

Realistically mine does around 23-26 around town and around 32-34 ish on a run not great to be honest but the fsi won't be much different and you are more lightly to rag it to get the power... Oh and mines a quattro

Realistically mine does around 23-26 around town and around 32-34 ish on a run not great to be honest but the fsi won't be much different and you are more lightly to rag it to get the power... Oh and mines a quattro

Wow are they really that bad?!
The A3 we took out today only managed 30mpg and that was a variety.

Can't believe those figures that's terrible! Looks like my option is turning over to the Leon FR pd 150, easily 50mpg on a run and got some boost to go with it

Wow are they really that bad?!
The A3 we took out today only managed 30mpg and that was a variety.

Can't believe those figures that's terrible! Looks like my option is turning over to the Leon FR pd 150, easily 50mpg on a run and got some boost to go with it

Yep they guzzle not sure what the fwd is like I'm sure those get a bit more mpg

Yea I get about 26 round town and about 32-35 on a run aswell

Well I can tell you realistic figures from day to day running, had the car for over a year and done over 22k miles.

When I was working 12 miles away from home I would use about 3/4 of a tank every fortnight, got about 120 miles on a quarter of a tank.

I'm now working in various places, one of them being 80 (mainly motorway) miles away from home which I do 3 days in a row, I don't drive too quick and I use 3/4 of a tank in 3 days, that works out at about 41mpg.

You get used to it and the way it delivers power (slow) but overall I can't fault mine. Do I wish I bought. TFSI ? No, I wish I bought a newer car so some of the mods I want would not have been such a pain in the ***.

Jack

If you do 15k a year I would be getting a diesel. You will claw back the extra outlay in the money saved on fuel and have far better performance if you get the 2.0 TDI 140 and get it remapped.

@15k miles buy a diesel. A5's look like good value at the mo.