My S3 and a catarham 7 was he playing with me!

ianhg

Reaction score
Ok, first of all i admit my s3 is heavy and only has 265bhp!
the catarham 7 is a quick track day car!
The roads are wet!
He comes up behind me and overtakes while im at normal speed, they are two up. I was in 3rd and floored the poor S3 and somehow kept with him, we came to a double roundabout with the aim to take the first left on both of them. He takes the first one to tight and pushes too wide into the second asa result with his car fishtailing!!! I took a better line thru the 1st and 2nd, no understeer, nice and smooth and then able to get the power down.
The caterham was 3-4 car lengths in front and thats where he stayed to stupid speeds until i backed off. as we were accelerating he his mate was looking back at me and i was glued to the back of the car

Now i was shocked because i was expecting him to walk all over me, had the road not been wet and not uphill plus lots of bends then it may have been a different story,

was he teasing me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

It looked like a dog, not looked after, smoked a bit too!!

u ever been in a caterham?

they are like biscuit boxes with an engine

let him play

caterhams are mental!
went out in an R400 at the ring this weekend.

trust me he was playing with you!
mind you they are not built for top end but do get there quickly.

he would jsut disappear in a corner and can brake so so much later than you!!

mind you, you would drive OVER him and not even realise I think!

felt rather exposed at the ring in the R400 especially when going down the inside of the new shape M5 at 130 down through the fuchs rorhre!!

top weekend though!
s3 was ok but too much of a road car to enjoy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif brakes and suspension!

In my 2.8q I sat with one through 2nd-3rd... I think there are some cheap reps out there with slow motors in. maybe you came across one of these?

maybe i did, my copper mate who was off duty saw the same one and said he appalled how stupidly and dangerous it was driven, sure he was driving fast but not thinking like it, he was lucky

caterham are fast cars, i used to work on a 2ltr 16v vauxhall powered one pushing 225bhp. i also used to work on a few gto's off the gtouk website and all i can say is the caterham would leave any of the gto. i actually lent the car 1 night and it was the most fun id had in any car

There have been so many engine options over time from the little 105Bhp 1.4 K series, a lot of old ford pinto engines, some less than 100BHP, if you are judging the Caterham by the R400 it would be like saying the VW passat TDi must be quick cos you once saw a Phatom W8 roaring past you doing 180MPH!

People need to understand that these Caterhams/Westfields aren't all quick, far from it. I supply parts to this market, and a lot on the road are kitcars. If so they can all vary, the choice of engine depends on the individual which can range from your 1.6s up to your V8s/Cosworths etc. I am not suprised that you kept up with it. Just because it is one of these kind of cars dont assume it will wipe the floor.