Where did all my petrol go!!!??

beanoir

Large Member
Reaction score
Bizarre one today with the car. I put £30 of fuel in this morning and probably drove about 40 miles, the distance on the computer read about 170miles left and when I got home read about 135miles, so nothing wrong then. I then parked the car at home, and left it until this evening, just got in to pop down to the shop and to my surprise I had 0miles left, and petrol gauge was at the empty position. So I took it down to the petrol station, stuck £20 in and now it's back up to 100miles and half tank on the gauge. Now I couldn't find any sign or smell of petrol under where I parked the car, or any dripping after putting more in, so I'm at a loss.

Any ideas guys??

Cheers

nick

I wondered if it was, trouble is the fuel hasn't gone back up to where I think it should..?

Love the fact despite suspecting a possible fuel leak you still stuck £20 worth of juice in!

Lol :icon_thumright:

Reactions: BigWillyStyle
Love the fact despite suspecting a possible fuel leak you still stuck £20 worth of juice in!

Lol :icon_thumright:

well I didn't know what else to do! It's only £20 anyway, and I was pretty sure it hasn't leaked as I'm sure I'd have noticed £40 of fuel under my car.

Either the senders gone, or it's been siphoned out. And yes, people do still do that!

So, you've now put £60 worth of fuel in and driven about 45 miles, right? Not sure how much you had before the £40 went in but I'd do this:
1st, measure the amount you put in in Litres, not £s. Check your fuel receipts. For £60 I guess this'll be about 43 litres. Then take off the amount you think you've used for the 45 miles I (say about 1.5 gallons = about 7.5 litres). So I reckon you should have about 35 litres of fuel in, plus whatever you started with.

Now, I'd take it to the garage and fill it up to the brim. Measure how much (in Litres!) you put in. It's a 60Ltr tank I think, so if you have about 35Ltrs already then you have at most another 30Ltrs to fit in (depending on what you started with before the £40 went in). If you get more than that in, then you have a problem!