audi a4 air bag problem!

wozelbeak

Reaction score
i am new to this forum, so if i am posting this in the wrong section could someone please move it.
i have recently noticed that when i start my a4 diesel (2000), i get the air bag warning light comes on.it flashes at irregular intervals, however after i have drove it for about two minutes it slows down the flashing then it stops entirely.
i have noticed that if i start it up just after i have drove, (within two hours) it doesn't flash at all.
it seems to me that there may be a battery or something that is discharging while the vehicle stands, but re-charges while it is being driven.
does this make any sense to anyone?
woz

the airbag light is a common thing on the ole b5, ive had it and so have a few others, check the connections under the seats as these are the problem normally. do a search for airbag in b5 section for more. and welcome to the forum! =)

thanks for advice, i will have a root around under the seat in the morning.
although it seems strange that the light only comes on when tha car has stood for a day or two. and als o that it goes off after i have driven it for about ten minutes.
i hope it is the connectors under the seat.
woz

i could buy a vag com cable on ebay for about £20.00. if i got one , how easy would it be for me to locate the problem?
woz

Hi woz,
Hope it is a simple connecter problem,
I had to replace a passanger side airbag recently, it was
£157.50+VAT
(part No A8L0 880 241)

labour £200+VAT! Just thougt i would give u a idea of the price u MIGHT face! the most common is the wires under the seat just i was unlucky! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

nooooo!
don't tell me these things!
i have my fingers in my hears and im humming so i can't hear you lol.
woz

i ahve a more serious question now.
i had my car serviced 1 year ago at audi sutton. i have done only 5000 miles in it since service, but it now says service due in 200 miles!
how come i have to service every 5000 miles. the previous owner only serviced every 20,000 miles.
woz

Not really sure , possibly conceted to the air bag fault???
or it might be a different fluid needs changed ???? posssibly brake/gearbox etc??? only guesing here! cant remeber wot the service interviles are on the A4 but i generaly just get one done every year/12,000mls etc!

but what can you do about the wretched display saying "service due".
no matter how loud i put the radio on, i can still see it lol!
woz

Sorry, but which seat should one look at coz my airbag light has just started to stay on for bout 3-5 minutes each time I started the car today.

[ QUOTE ]
but what can you do about the wretched display saying "service due".
no matter how loud i put the radio on, i can still see it lol!
woz

[/ QUOTE ]

The display is programmed to come on at xxxxx miles or 1 year, which ever is the sooner. So as the car has been run for 12 months, no matter how many miles it's done, it's time for a service.

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, but which seat should one look at coz my airbag light has just started to stay on for bout 3-5 minutes each time I started the car today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both the driver and passenger seat have a connector block beneath them. Get your head in the footwell and look underneath, you'll spot them easily.

Kev.

IM TAKING HER INTO A VW AUDI INDIPENDANT GARAGE ON WEDNESDAY. HE WILL RE-SET THE CLOCK TO GIVE ANOTHER YEAR ON THE SERVICE. ALSO HE WILL TELL ME WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON WITH MY WRETCHED AIRBAG LIGHT. HOPEFULLY SHE WILL BE SOLD BY SATURDAY AND I CAN TAKE MY NEW AUDI A4 1.9TDI FROM THE DEALERS IN STOKE ON TRENT EARLY NEXT WEEK.
WOZ

ok, shouting over lol. it hought i was on another forum where whatever case you write in gets put up in lower case.
anyway, here is a update on my airbag problem! i took my audi to midland vw, who ran the vag com on it and found that there was not a single fault showing anywhere. the mechanic reckons it might be a problem with the dashboard cluster!!
if you read in my previous post that the airbag light stars flashing when i turn the car on after it has stood for a day or so, but after the car has been run for a few minutes the flashing slows, then stops?
anyway, i asked them to do a service on it as it was almost due (100 miles to go). my last service at the audi steelers, cost me £210+vat for a prety basic job. i got the vag com analasis and the service for a fraction of the cost. and what is more the guys who did the work were not spoty young apprentices, but time served guys who seemed to care.
so a big thumbs up to midland vw near cannock
woz

That sounds like a good outcome to me.

Thumbs-up, indeed.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif