New head...cost?

JBL

Reaction score
Hi all, anyone got ideas on how much a new head for the 8L s3 would cost? And any reccomendations on where to look / buy?

Any help would be much appreciated.

New heads vary between 700/800 quid to around 1200 from a dealer IIRC... why do you need a new head and do you need a bare one or a fully built one? also which year? as APY (pre facelift) S3's are different to AMK/BAM (facelift)

Bill @ Badger 5 has some heads kicking around that may be of use...

<tuffty/>

std smallport APY head here... just come off a bottom end we have used on another job.
fully built as it came off. £150+delivery

Got any reconditioned large port heads Bill out of interest?

How much would that go for Andrew? PM if you don't want to post public.

As a rough guide i payed around £400 for a light skim..oil stem seals...all inserts/guides ,5 exhaust valves 3 x inlets and new tensioner guides....all built back up and good to go....

New heads vary between 700/800 quid to around 1200 from a dealer IIRC... why do you need a new head and do you need a bare one or a fully built one? also which year? as APY (pre facelift) S3's are different to AMK/BAM (facelift)

Bill @ Badger 5 has some heads kicking around that may be of use...

<tuffty/>

Cheers for reply, need a bare head but have heard that you need new valves as once disturbed they tend to go wrong when the heads refitted and engines used. I got a 2001 facelift amk. I d'nt know enough about engines to explain the problem but the car is with Dave Turner in stonehouse, his sons run TRD in stroud, thought you may have heard of them if you live in gloucestershire. But in very simple terms coolant is getting into the head through one of the guides and somewhere else. Its washed one of the pistons clean and one of the spark plugs was corroded quite bad.

Ive got a large port AGU head pm,d

Hi dave, i pm'd but not sure if it worked as i had no messages in my sent folder, its a 2001 amk facelift, would the agu head fit? if not any reccomendations where to look? cheers

Cheers for reply, need a bare head but have heard that you need new valves as once disturbed they tend to go wrong when the heads refitted and engines used. I got a 2001 facelift amk. I d'nt know enough about engines to explain the problem but the car is with Dave Turner in stonehouse, his sons run TRD in stroud, thought you may have heard of them if you live in gloucestershire. But in very simple terms coolant is getting into the head through one of the guides and somewhere else. Its washed one of the pistons clean and one of the spark plugs was corroded quite bad.

Yeah... have heard of TRD... Bill @ Badger 5 knows them too (also in Stonehouse)...

You don't need a new head and you can reuse the valves and other running gear too... AGU is large port but if you don't have plans for more than stage 2 power then not much point in fitting one tbh... biggest issue with used heads is valve guide wear in particular exhaust guides... get them checked and replaced as required... AMK's (and maybe BAM's too) seem to suffer more from cracking as they run a little hotter than earlier S3's (APY's)... you can also use heads from the AUM engines too (K03 turbo'd cars like 2001> A3's etc)

I tend to make a judgement call on which parts look less worn.. Audi's were mostly on variable servicing whereas SEAT's and other VAGs were on fixed... if you get a decent head then there is no reason not to use it complete tbh...

If coolant is getting in then I suspect its cracked between the exhausts... like I said, AMK's seemed to suffer for cracked heads...

<tuffty/>

Cheers for the detailed reply tufty, much help. Bill i may try pop in 2mo on my lunch break to your workshop if thats ok?