Been offered an AEB engine/head.

Y

Yohan87

Afternoon chaps,

I've been offered the following: -

"AEB motor, complete with turbo, air flow meter, engine loom and ECU. Was sold in good running order with circa 90k on it. I've never used it since I bought it last year and it's sat in my garage, so I can't give any guarantees with it. Ther guy I bought it from said it was from a 1999 A4. The motor was out of the car when I got it so never saw the car to confrim.

I would do a good price on the whole engine (head, block and manifolds) if you had a way of transporting it. As said, I'm mainly selling to make space, so being left with the block wouldn't be ideal."

1. Is an 1999 head compatible with my 2002 AMK? I plan to swap my AMK bits in to it cams/vvt etc. I believe the water pumps were external on that era of AEB?
  2. What is a fair price for the above given I only want the head from it?

Cheers

Id just take the head, blocks no good.

id say max £150 forthe head aslong as its in good condition. Youll also need to swap your vvt unti oer to the aeb head.

Condition is always the hard part to determine, won't know until I take it apart.

I'll see if he is happy to split.

Cheers guys.

Have asked him for the head only, even offered to remove it myself so fingers crossed.

I'm at the top of an expensive hill at the moment, if I buy this head then it'll be downhill to rods, relentless, wmi :D

You wouldnt be saying that if you knew the reason for its death...

Reactions: Westy
Do it lol.

also whats the reason for its death?

Rather not say in great detail for everyone to read lol.

Its been written off after an accident that wasnt my fault and was completely out of my control. Im fine but the other party is pretty f`d up.

Anyway its not a thread about me so we'll leave it at that to avoid derailing lol.

Sorry to hear that Jason.

Permission for thread to stay off track until this guy answers my question about taking only the head :)

sorry jason :( i feel bad now.

yohan, i have an AEB head, and so do lots of others, like westy here. There is just one tiny tab on the head that needs machining, although i cant find it on my head :uhm:

S`alright. I`ll be in an S3 by the end of the week :) Civic was great for the 12 days i got to drive it for until the accident happened...

You wait for a bus and two come along at once...

Seems there is an AGU head just as locally as well, and the chap is happy to sell the head for £70 if I remove it myself. Unknown history/condition though.

I only managed to sell my AEB head for £80 delivered. That was relisted on ebay like 3 times too. Sadly they dont go for what they used to.

For the most part the heads are pretty sturdy... would do the exhaust guides though as a minimum

<tuffty/>

It would be getting sent to Andrew to be overhauled and port matched to a relentless manifold.

Just an update on this.

The guy has been away but has come back offering me the whole engine for £80.

Think I'll just go for that :)

Yeah cheers guys.

For the £80 I'm getting the turbo and manifolds as well so between flogging them and scrapping the bottom end I'm sure I'll do fine.

As said, only need the large port head :)

Have sold a few 1.8t cranks @£80 and pistons @ £20 each so can make your money back and then some ;)

Aww i see, give the **** the first dibs haha :).

arn't AEB and AGU pistons the same too..... I know AEB is 20mm pins and 9.5:1 CR.....

I read they were as well.

Been offered a set by s3Dave which I'll take him up on, I suspect the 90K AEB ones won't be in as good condition.

Can't imagine 90k ones being too bad, I stripped an AEB with 190k+ on the block that I know had been one of the worst serviced cars I've known of for the last 70k or so of it's life and the coating on the skirts was only just starting to wear out. I'm pretty certain they're 20mm pins too, can measure tomorrow if you needed any extra confirmation but it seems like everyone's in agreement anyway.

If it makes any difference to you, the external water-pump engine's can be converted to run a fixed cam-belt tensioner for about £20.

Are there actually any missing mounting-points on the inline blocks that you need for transverse mounting then? (My Scirocco's engine mounts completely differently, so I've got no idea!).