A3 8L - Possible clutch slip on turbo spool?

grjo89

Reaction score
Hi

I've had my A3 1.8T for some time now, approx 2 years. Prior to buying the car it has been remapped to stage 2 (I beg to differ but paperwork says otherwise) Regardless, the car has pretty much been flawless (aside a new water-pump). For the last month or so when the turbo starts to spool at rough 2.5krpm, you can hear and see the rev's rise to roughly 3/3.5k rpm but with no additional power, until a few seconds later it suddenly releases a burst of power and you continue happy as larry.

There are a few points to note which have led me to asking this question, it only does it when the turbo is spooling, prior and up to 2.5k rpm there are no problems. Additionally the car has started loosing a considerable amount of coolant over the pass week, I just keep topping it up for now, but roughly a coolant tank's worth every 2/3 days. Finally, the engines sounds a lot more aerated than it used to and feels as if it has less torque, especially when under load, I however have checked boost pipes and hoses etc and cannot see anything suspicious. Also worth noting that happens primarily in gears 2-5

Does anyone have an ideas what the problem/problems could be and are they related?

head gasket?

might want to get your local garage to do a check for combustion gasses in the coolant