how much would a garage charge to fit rods?

Reaction score
hopefully goin down the root of gt28 soon in my s3, so obiosly needing the rods!

just wondering if anyone knows how much a garage would charge to fit rods if i supplied them? roughly?

has anyone had this done?

...and don't get 'a garage' to do it either... last member that did that ended up having the have the engine rebuilt as the 'garage' had no idea how to deal with uprated rods...

I'll point Bill in the direction of this thread...

<tuffty/>

well i its something i need to look into as im not fancying doing it myself!, just watched the 5 videos of vwvortex with the tutorial, i would give it ago just some things shoot over my head!.

Its a fairly intrusive procedure... head off and such... other things to consider is getting a new oil pump, oil strainer and rings... the work would involve a cam belt swap and you should consider a water pump swap if you haven't had it done recently...

<tuffty/>

yeh i dont mind doing all of the cambelt and headgasket etc, its literly the rods and pistons part im not sure on.. even if i could give a garage my block all stripped down with the rods just need them fitting etc, then back to me for rebuilt.

I was quoted around £1,100 -£1,200 supply and fit from my local garage who are no strangers to building high power VAGs.

I was contemplating not honing the bores and changing the rings because it seemed intimidating but in the end Aragorn and a few others swayed me and it made sense. Turned out to be a lot easier then I thought it would be.

I wouldn't suggest doing the work yourself unless you have the space and the time to take things at your own pace. Especially I it's the first time of major engine work.

Garage where I had mine done will fit them for £275 + vat. Link is in my sig.

Reactions: Westy
Reesy:1715933 said:
Garage where I had mine done will fit them for £275 + vat. Link is in my sig.

Is that labour just for fitting the rods to a block or doing the while job? Eg giving them just the block?

Bargain! all i need now is to buy rods and i would be there!

...and a head gasket, and head bolts, oil, coolant, other sundry items etc...

<tuffty/>

Budget an extra £100 for the above. Or if you're Reesy just don't pay at all haha.

Budget an extra £100 for the above. Or if you're Reesy just don't pay at all haha.

Well his mechanic better send the collectors round...

Limbo, where you getting rods from and are they rifle drilled?

reesy thats sounds a awesome price! just bit of a journey for me being north wales! :( an jay yeh i think they are mate, im geting them from a dealer from the states from INA engineering around £450 for it all i think,

-how hard is this job tho? do you recon it can be done by someone (me an a mate or two) to do? i got mates who know engines pretty well.. an iv read up a fair bit..obsioulsy more needed. plus after watching these videos which guide you through the whole process.... whats your thoughts???

-how hard is this job tho? do you recon it can be done by someone (me an a mate or two) to do? i got mates who know engines pretty well.. an iv read up a fair bit..obsioulsy more needed. plus after watching these videos which guide you through the whole process.... whats your thoughts???

This is exactly what I'd did Over this years Easter holiday. Me and 2 mates over 3 days (Stacey also helped out for a day and a half). I paid them with free food, beer, and acommodation and we had the engine out, on a stand, stripped and rebuild including clutch, water pump, oil pump, pistons, ring etc.

It took me and a mate, three Sundays to build the engine twice as it dropped a valve first time round lol all fun and games.

We did this with the engine still in the car piece of cake.

That's drive in drive out labour charge.

Really good price that is and Ben definitely knows what he's doing....

Sorted my car right out a couple of weeks ago when all types of problems were found when poly bushing it :-\

Saw your race car there as well!

(ps didn't mean to dislike....blasted Iphone)

reesy thats sounds a awesome price! just bit of a journey for me being north wales! :( an jay yeh i think they are mate, im geting them from a dealer from the states from INA engineering around £450 for it all i think,

If you got stuck at any point, you're more than welcome to call me at the workshop for advice/help.

From me supply fit rifle drilled rods, hone bores, supply required gaskets, bearings, bolts, cambelt etc is £1250 inc vat

From me supply fit rifle drilled rods, hone bores, supply required gaskets, bearings, bolts, cambelt etc is £1250 inc vat

Hmm inc VAT you say.

Why is Aberdeen so ****** far away from everything?

Hey Guys,

We could supply and fit performance con rods, all required gaskets, shells, bolts, fluids, cambelt etc for £1250.00 inc VAT

That is based on a drive in and drive out :)

We are in Manchester too - Hope this helps!

Awesome Mike

if i was going to the effort of opening the engine i would have it rebuilt fully

if your gonna take the engine out a local old school engine builder is http://www.ejhammond.co.uk/
he did my 20xe, JP4, 14se, c16se and sr20det

Guess it depends on how far you plan to go.don't see the point on a full rebuild if your bot going for crazy power.

Reesy - your mechanic,is that price for just a straight swap of rods I'm guessing, exhaust valves any everything else stays the same

Oil dave, I think I might just get the whole hog done in that case,replace anything that needs changing. At least that way it won't have to be taken apart again

hmm its sooo tempting to have a crack at it myself.... but end of the day if i do something wrong and dont notice it. when its all built and it goes boom.. then its alot more money.... these prices from bill.. and awesome sound pretty good tbf.... an if it could be done in a whole day aswel!?

hmm its sooo tempting to have a crack at it myself.... but end of the day if i do something wrong and dont notice it. when its all built and it goes boom.. then its alot more money.... these prices from bill.. and awesome sound pretty good tbf.... an if it could be done in a whole day aswel!?
personally... I dont rush it into a single day..
I span 2 days doing it.. and spending time cleaning up pistons thoroughly etc etc etc.... as per the build threads on here and my scn section.

it takes time, but I would rather it was mint

Reactions: Yohan87
PSI tunning quoted me £900 for fitting of rods that was them supplying every thing apart from the calico bearings just standard bearings back in etc. they were riffle drilled rods also

PSI tunning quoted me £900 for fitting of rods that was them supplying every thing apart from the calico bearings just standard bearings back in etc. they were riffle drilled rods also

hmm that seems another decent price, forgot about psi tuning! did you get them done then? i see your not far from me also!