Advice on potential new purchase Please

rjm180

Reaction score
Hi,

Just jumped over from the B6 forum looking for some advice from the the guys and girls who would know.

I have just looked and driven a 2009 A3 cabriolet 2.0TFSi S-Line manual for a family member. The car is being sold by an Audi dealership so it will have the usual Approved checks and a years warranty. Very pleased with the car, it looks great and drove very well too so all is ok in that department. The mileage is 40k, slightly more than ideal but there will only be 5k or 6k a year being put on it in the future so the mileage is not too much of an issue. Everything along those lines I am happy with, I would just like some advice on the reliability of the car and the 2.0 TFSi engine/turbo/clutch and flywheel. Are there any weak points/ specific/common faults/areas that I should be aware of ? My wife had a 2008 A3 2.0TDi auto from new and we thought it was a great car and when the lease was up we were sad to see it go so I know the A3's are good, sound solid cars.

Also, when does the cambelt and associated parts require replacing on this engine, any rough ideas on how much that would cost ( Audi and indie) and would there be any other maintenance items ( major other than normal service items ) that require work on the horizon in the next couple of years ( could be 3 years or so to get to 60k ). Is there any specific work required too in relation to the Turbo at any point in the life of the car.

I have tried a quick search but not found anything too specific.

Any advice or answers to these questions or points will be of great help and I will be very grateful and appreciative for your time.

Many Thanks, :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
Your hand book will tell you when the servicable componenets are due m8 :icon_thumright:

Hi thanks for your reply, i'm sorry, I don't think I explained correctly in the first post, its not been bought yet but hopefully should be agreed in the next couple of days. I was looking for info prior to the purchase going ahead to reassure my relative about future service items and common faults to look out for when we go for a second viewing. I could ask the service department about what servicing is coming up but I know from my S4, what Audi say about servicing and when items need replacing isn't always the best in the long run for the car and thought you guys would know what's best.

Thanks

Ahh im with you know, unfortunately im not too clued up myself with my current car never mind the "2009 A3 cabriolet 2.0TFSi S-Line" lol

Only owned mine a few week now :kissmyrings:

I have now edited the title of this thread to read "Advice on potential new purchase Please" in order to explain my post a bit better. Sorry for any confusion.

Whilst the cambelt is due at 60k on miles, isn't it due at 4 years on time? - depends on when in 2009 the car was new it may be required as soon as 6 weeks away, might be worth negotiating this into the purchase.

Or am I right in thinking VW quote 4 years & Audi quote 5years - either way might be worth seeing if something can be agreed unless the car was registered late 2009.

Also note, the handbooks sometimes states 120k for a cambelt on these motors for some unknown reason - it caught out someone on here.

Otherwise it seems the 2.0TFSI has been sorted by 2009 (diverter valve, fuel pump).

Last edited: