Changed my mind about lowering my A4

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Readers of this thread will recall me saying I would not be fitting lowering springs to my 3.0TDi, despite peoples' reassurances that the ride need not suffer. After a lot of thought, I've decided to give it a go, and have ordered a set of Eibach Pro lowering springs from DPM Performance (what a brilliant guy Damian is, by the way!).

They'll be going on a week today, at the same time as a set of MTEC drilled and grooved discs are fitted, along with Mintex pads.

Pics, and a review of how the car handles, rides and stops will follow.

I'm thinking of going down the same route as you with the Eibach Pro kit. What height does it drop it by? Also noticed you have SE not S-Line so normal ride height would be a bit higher than mine if I'm correct.

I'm thinking of going down the same route as you with the Eibach Pro kit. What height does it drop it by? Also noticed you have SE not S-Line so normal ride height would be a bit higher than mine if I'm correct.

Eibach Pro spring lower by 30mm, based on an SE. If I remember correctly, the S-Line is about 25mm lower than an SE to begin with.

Oh...so if I were to fit the same kit it would only lower my ride height by 5mm? :unsure:

I think so, but I'm certainly no expert on this topic. If you look on the DPM Performance site, you'll find lots of other options, including springs with a 45mm drop, springs and shock absorbers packages, and mysterious things called coilovers which, as far as I can tell, are springs and shocks combined into a single unit that allow you to adjust the ride height yourself.

as a fellow 3.0tdi i am very interested to hear your results, i am in a similar position and wasn't going to do it, but its very tempting, plus i don't really like the s-line suspension, find it quite crashy.

whats made you you just go for the springs? and not for shocks as well?

Good choice Jeff! I think you'll see an improvement in comfort to be honest, I think I onlt suffered because I went from 18s to 19s.

Also, FYI S-line is 20mm lower than SE

as a fellow 3.0tdi i am very interested to hear your results, i am in a similar position and wasn't going to do it, but its very tempting, plus i don't really like the s-line suspension, find it quite crashy.

I can't afford the extra £400 for shocks, not when I'm getting new brakes fitted, and not a month before Christmas.

Would shocks and springs not affect comfort? I remember putting coilovers on my Mk4 Golf and the ride was terrible afterwards.

I'm hopeful that the Eibach springs I've chosen will settle the car down a bit, make it a bit less floaty, even if it does come at the expense of a bit less bump absorbtion.

DPM didn't have them in stock, but Damian arranged for them to be shipped directly from Eibach, and they arrived yesterday. It's just a shame my garage can't fit them until Tuesday.

Last edited:
Would shocks and springs not affect comfort? I remember putting coilovers on my Mk4 Golf and the ride was terrible afterwards.

I guess it depends whether you think the s-line shocks/spring combo is good enough, personally i find it crashy, also there is an argument that just fitting springs without the uprated shocks, will possibly cause early failure of standard shocks. So I believe theyrecommended is you fit a full spring/shock combo. Then again i've never read or seen anything that suggests this is actually the case, and whether only a -5mm would cause any real problem to standard shocks.....so will be interesting to see if it does improve the ride quality? or make it worse, as those shocks will not be designed for those springs........

jdp1962 - out of interest...have you got the rs4 arb fitted as well?