Oil pump failing symptoms on a tdi?

Gates

Reaction score
Evening all I'm just wondering what the actual symptoms are of the oil pump failing on the tdi engines as mine is sounding get loud at the minute and were running out of options as to what's wrong with it at the minute.

When you say loud what sort of noise is it. You will get the red oil light on your dash if there's nee oil pressure I.e pump knackered

It's a loud Tappy noise, I'm just trying to figure out if it will be the dreaded balance shaft oil pump problem but want to know what the symptoms are

I don't think the symptoms are loss of low-end power and smoking... i believe it is just the rattling noise, followed at some arbitrary point by the oil pressure light coming on and chunks of turbo flying everywhere :( (used to have an A4 with a BLB 2.0 TDI, so lived in constant fear of this for a while)

If you want another possible lead on the rattle (to rule out the oil pump drive shaft), I heard what I thought was the rattle of expensive doom approaching, and it turned out that the air-con compressor had seized/died.

Could it be the chain rattling. Isn't there a piece that breaks off.

Evening all I'm just wondering what the actual symptoms are of the oil pump failing on the tdi engines as mine is sounding get loud at the minute and were running out of options as to what's wrong with it at the minute.

When I was told by my Indy that I had a rattling chain (BLB engine) i didn't believe him as I had been listening for symptoms for the previous two years. What actually happened is that my engine had quite probably been rattling for sometime but my ears had come to accept the rattle as the norm ( unlike my wife who said she could most definetely hear it rattling ). I caught my own engine in time and didn't need the turbo replacing but i did need the bearing shells replacing as not only was the chain rattling but the hex shaft had started to round off and hence although I had oil pressure it was getting low.

Paul B7

Could it be the chain rattling. Isn't there a piece that breaks off.
Yeah, I think the bit that breaks is actually a silly plastic(!) tensioner/guide, which of course makes the chain go slack and rattle about and then fail in short order.