Audi A3 Black Edition yellow fog lights!!!!? Why?

selector007

Reaction score
I am currently enjoying my new A3 Black Edition (2010). But what i found really weird and a tad annoying was the colour of the fog lights(when on).

The car comes with lovely led lights and xenons but when i switched on the fog lights these were of the yellow colour!!!

Why would Audi do such a thing!?!?! Has anyone managed to change these to a colour which matches the xenons, is this possible?

T8ups is your man! Look him up on here. He does some great ice white bulbs. It won't be an exact match but near as damn it

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354640495553820

Last edited:
to deter people who think its cool to drive around with their fog lights on when its not foggy from doing so

I am currently enjoying my new A3 Black Edition (2010). But what i found really weird and a tad annoying was the colour of the fog lights(when on).

The car comes with lovely led lights and xenons but when i switched on the fog lights these were of the yellow colour!!!

Why would Audi do such a thing!?!?! Has anyone managed to change these to a colour which matches the xenons, is this possible?

Mate, if u didnt have xenons or LED DRL's this would be the colour of all ur lights. It has nothing to do with Audi doing anything other than putting Road Legal standard 55w bulbs in. As mentioned above, trups is ur guy.

Let's face it, not many factory cars come with white or xenon fog lights from factory. My friend at Audi Bedford sells £70,000 A8's and Q7's with yellow look OEM factory fog light bulbs in. Audi won't change that for £20k A3's I'm afraid.

I got these for about £10 and they're excellent, very close to the Xenon white and not far off the LED DRL white. They're Xtec 4200k super white halogen H11 12v 55w bulbs.

20121024_144055.jpg

IMG_20121129_221205.jpg

Basically because they're fog lamps, and a yellow'r light is better for seeing in fog, white reflects back with a higher intensity

Thanks for all the replies guys. I've decided to leave them yellow, although they look better in white but I think on this occasion I will go with reason why they are suppose to be yellow!!!!

Also I won't be one of those guys driving with the fogs on as driving around with LED's feels so much better!!!!!!

Last year when I got my Black Edition I bought a set of H11 Philips Diamond Vision Bulbs (5000k) on advice of Paulie on here!

They were quite new at the time and I paid about £45 for a set that came from Japan or wherever they are made. They seem to be a lot cheaper now!

They give me a pure white light when unlocking the car or locking. Matching the DRLs.

Before anybody jumps down my throat, It does say not fit for road use in the EU. Think it's to do with the power output. In the last 12 months I have never driven around with my fogs on when not needed. I have used them when it's foggy once or twice and they light up the road really well. I believe LEDs will just reflect light rather than cut through.

H11 PHILIPS DIAMOND VISION POWER HEADLIGHT CAR BULBS H11 DIAMONDVISION H11 5000k | eBay

Will try and do a small video tonight when it's dark...

i passed a A3 today who was driving with his fogs on today.... they were RED!

i must admit, i like yellow fogs. had them fitted in my TT 3.2

i got the LED ones fitted in my S3 regards to tr8ups

Basically because they're fog lamps, and a yellow'r light is better for seeing in fog, white reflects back with a higher intensity
modern fog light housings are designed to project a flat beam that lights kerbs, cats eyes, road markings, etc. so any glare issues that used to be caused by scattered white light, should by now be a thing of the past ...unless you use those huge round Rally style fog lights.

i passed a A3 today who was driving with his fogs on today.... they were RED!..
always thought it was illegal to show red lights at the front??

...i got the LED ones fitted in my S3 regards to tr8ups
I fancy some LED's myself, are yours H11? how much light do they output compared to halogen, if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah they're H11 and pretty much cosmetic. Not a scratch on the halogens for practical use, but I dont really care - but they certainly look good :) especially as I have an additional LED strip next to them (which only come on when the fog lights do ie LH/CH/fogs.) Ill get a picture and post it up tonight/tomorrow morning.

Okay, 3 shots which have been adjusted to try and show the light illumination between the DRL, LED fogs and LED strip. Rememeber, the LED strip only comes on with the fog lights....

IMAG0930IMAG0931IMAG0932

1x close up
IMAG0931 1

Last edited by a moderator:
i passed a A3 today who was driving with his fogs on today.... they were RED!

i must admit, i like yellow fogs. had them fitted in my TT 3.2

i got the LED ones fitted in my S3 regards to tr8ups

saw him again yesterday..... they look yellow in the image but they were definately RED

8wmbdd.jpg