Turbo dying

sam4191

If In doubt, Flat out!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I complained of a turbo whine a week or so back, hoping it would be just due to a leak in exhaust, but took a proper look earlier and on the intake, there is about 0.5-1cm play in and out and more than enough side to side. Now, I know this is going to need replacing... there is no blue smoke just yet. The turbo is only 2 years/15000 miles old... what could have caused it to have corrupt!? She uses no oil at all, pretty well looked after (never booted hard when cold, and always left to cool before turning off). The oil pipe to turbo was changed with the turbo, so all that should be ok. I dont want to be getting another turbo only for it to do the same again!

Finally, how long do you think I have before it's totalled?

Cheers

Sam

0.5-1cm in out! That's knackered! You say it was new, genuine new or rebuilt new?
In out play occurs when the thrust washer and or collar bash against the thrust bearing, small play leads to big play as the hammering gets larger. Bad oil flow, or wrong main journal bearings tend to lead to this failure along with the wrong parts fitted. 0.5 cm is very close to the rear oil seal popping out! Get it replaced soon though!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to admit, 0.5-1cm is a guestimate by feel only, so could be exaggerated, though felt a lot. Thanks for the description! sort of makes sence... I'm not very hot up on turbo's but eager to learn! so, if the rear seal goes, i guess that's when she starts burning oil? and thats when I stop driving it. cheers mate

Sorry dude, just realised I didn't answer, it was done by previous owner, and is hybrid, so am guessing rebuilt?

Mmm hybrid with in out play, low mileage...sounds like Prawns! CR turbo by any chance? If so like hood wrong thrust washer/collar fitted and hence your problem.. If you can stop driving it and get it rebuilt now, you may just save yourself a fortune, at least the turbine might salvageable if the compressor isn't.

0.5-1CM?? if thats accurate its ******!! what hybrid is it? if its still running cant be that much or the comp wheel and turbine wheels would be no more!! If it was CR turb*s?? then cant see why they would fit wrong thrust pieces? i recon just cheap nasty chinese crap!
Acompany in Birmingham use these and have so many failures im amazed there in business! or have you been using cooking oils lol?

0.5-1CM?? if thats accurate its ******!! what hybrid is it? if its still running cant be that much or the comp wheel and turbine wheels would be no more!! If it was CR turb*s?? then cant see why they would fit wrong thrust pieces? i recon just cheap nasty chinese crap!
Acompany in Birmingham use these and have so many failures im amazed there in business! or have you been using cooking oils lol?

a little research on here will show you what issues have arisen with hybrids from a certain company!

Turbo is now off.... So easy to get to with the head off!!!!! I would say my estimate of play was over estimated. I would say upto 5 mm play in and out. It's off to cr turbos tomorrow (despite all the bad press) as they're close and easy. So will see if they come up with a possible cause for it going.

Turbo is now off.... So easy to get to with the head off!!!!! I would say my estimate of play was over estimated. I would say upto 5 mm play in and out. It's off to cr turbos tomorrow (despite all the bad press) as they're close and easy. So will see if they come up with a possible cause for it going.

close and easy.....

Possible???? the actual cause will be a worn thrust bearing , either the wrong main bearing was fitted or the wrong thrust washer/collar.

I would go CR turbo even they were next door! Seems so many go wrong and don't care or help!

Esch forum I've Been on seems to have crap turbo rant over

Oh well, I'll come back with my tail between my legs in another 2 years then. lol. This current turbo is a Universal Turbos one. So no one should use them either. At the end of the day, if it goes again in 15k, I can come back and say I should have listened, have the head off and do what I should be doing now and do the rods... lol Cheers for the help anyhow! :)