Wiper problems?

Ryan1763

Reaction score
Turned my car off with the wipers in the on position, when I restarted the car the wipers didn't come on, I had to flick the stalk down then back up, is this normal?

They will come to life when you start moving if left in the on position.

I think mine do the same - if the engine is switched off with the wipers on then when I turn the engine back on again I have to turn the wipers off and then on again if I want to resume using them. Kind of inconvenient but I'm used to it now, no idea if it's normal though!

mine does exactly the same and it gets on my nerves. If you have them on intermittent and then stop the car, you have to either switch them "off" then back to intermittent or switch to "on" then back to intermittent.

same here!

I know they're programmed to drop to the next lower level when you're traveling and come to a stop, then resume to the set speed when you move off, but they seem to get confused when you shut the car off & restart it - probably a programming glitch & a minor inconvenience.

Don't talk to me about wipers!

As mentioned in another thread, I'm having a problem with the bonnet sensor at the moment that makes the car think the bonnet is open even when it isn't. Anyway, I didn't think much of it so popped to Tesco in the car earlier today. Halfway there it starts raining.... What I didn't know is there's a fail safe programmed in that stops the wipers from working when car believes the bonnet to be open. So no wipers.... I had to pull over and wait almost an hour for the rain to stop before I could carry on

Mine do the same, at about 5mph they start up if the engine was turned off but wipers left on. Sounds normal!

Yeah same but not always. Sometimes il turn the car on do nothing and they with clunkily (fake i know) go down slowly.

Must be a fault somewhere, it's such a pain, there must be a cure.

When I set off regardless of the speed, they don't come on

Don't talk to me about wipers!

As mentioned in another thread, I'm having a problem with the bonnet sensor at the moment that makes the car think the bonnet is open even when it isn't. Anyway, I didn't think much of it so popped to Tesco in the car earlier today. Halfway there it starts raining.... What I didn't know is there's a fail safe programmed in that stops the wipers from working when car believes the bonnet to be open. So no wipers.... I had to pull over and wait almost an hour for the rain to stop before I could carry on

Must have been a nightmare for you, Rain X FTW!
I turn my wipers off to see the water stream up the window...

I don't think that this is a programming error or anything, I think it might be a feature to protect the wipers in times of heavy frost/snow/ice so they don't try to come on when you start the car and burn out the motor. :) Which I've done before... Haha.

Must have been a nightmare for you, Rain X FTW!
I turn my wipers off to see the water stream up the window...
I'll never put rain x on the windscreen of any car again ...it gives an after-wipe shadow that's like a trace from the wipers and can obscure your view for quarter of a second, it can be dangerous in dark conditions & it's not easy to remove once on there either! Side & back windows yes, but not the screen.

I'll never put rain x on the windscreen of any car again ...it gives an after-wipe shadow that's like a trace from the wipers and can obscure your view for quarter of a second, it can be dangerous in dark conditions & it's not easy to remove once on there either! Side & back windows yes, but not the screen.

Cant say Iv noticed that before...
Haven't found any better solution yet.