Car getting stuck in 1st gear.. help appreciated

gurdeep_singh

Reaction score
Hi guys,

New to this forum, so hope you guys can help!

I have an Audi A3 2.0tdi 6spd

Recently, but only occasionally, the car will get stuck in 1st gear - e.g. If i'm at lights, I will press clutch and put it into 1st whilst waiting. Then after a few seconds (the time differs each time it happens) the revs will kick up ever so slightly, and then I cant get it out of 1st. I have to let go of the clutch so the car rolls a tiny bit, re press the clutch and then I can take it out..

What could this be? The car being an Audi is probably irrelevant as I suppose this does happen to others..

(I haven't tried any transmission fluid as yet - I need to get some)

Hopefully its nothing major. the car generally goes into all gears perfectly fine, clutch doesnt slip either.

any help appreciated!!

Gurdeep

Welcome to the forum mate,

I had similar sort of problem but not as much as what u r saying...

Basically mine wasn't shiffiting gear form 2nd gear to 3rd only, basicall I had to run it on high rev as 4/5 to be able to shift gear, and didn't have anything to do with gear, clutch and so on, not sure what it was but will ask my local garage to see and will let you know by Monday!

Have a look around and get different quotes from several dealers to get it fixed...
By the way don't u have warranty?!?

Hi mate. Thanks for the welcome :)

See mine only gets stuck in 1st.. all other gears are fine. Im gonna phone my garage as well and see what they say!

Cheers - itll be good to see what your guys think too!

I bought the car from a 2nd hand car dealer, but my 6month warranty has expired now... typical lol

You're welcome;

I called them on morning and no one picked the phone, so popped there just about an hour ago and its closed till Wednesday, so will give it a try on wed and see what they say;

To be honest to get mine fixed by that time, I had different quotes, from 600 to 800 pounds, but these guys offered 245! That's why I'm saying better to try several places before considering it done...

Anyway will get you posted on Wed!

Cheers and happy new year :)

hi,

anyone else shine a bit of light on this?
Really starting to bug me. I've done searches online but cant seem to find anything that relates to it...

Hi mate, has the clutch been changed on the car at all?

Sounds like the cables for the gearbox are bad?! ( not the gear linkages cables)

So if your in neutral i.e idle, whats the revs at? (once at running temp)

Sounds to me it could be set a little high thats all.