Night Shot of an A3

Habitual

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I recently took this photo of my Audi A3. I've had this shot in mind for ages, but never been able to take it. However, having recently purchased a remote shutter release, I can now properly dapple in night photography.

So, I spent about 10/15 minutes and took a half a dozen shots of my car under this street light late last week.

This was my favourite from the set, although I think I warped it a little with being at 10mm, but I like it all the same.

I never used a flash or anything to deflect light. I simply used the lighting available.

I like this shot, personally. But I am after some good and honest critique on how to improve what I've done.

Thanks guys!

Tom.

Reactions: Zak0123
Hi Tom, (only now seen this pic)

First I think there’s nothing better than having an idea in your head, and when it all comes together, the right time of year maybe, the right lighting and good weather it makes for a special moment it your photography. :icon_thumright:

Iv not done much with night photography but it’s an area id like to try and learn more about.
I like your photo Tom, love the light that’s on the car and the shadows from it.

Im looking forward to seeing more of your night shots! :icon_thumright:

Thanks mate! I will do some more soon. I might try the above again with a narrower field of view and in a better location.

I may also have a blast at some star trails yet.

Try shining a narrow beam torch at just the car to highlight it.
(I recommend the Lenser P7 personally.)

Use a smaller aperture and longer exposure a bit earlier in the night to get some sky colour but still keep the dark areas of the buildings.

Cheers for the info man. I'll have a blast again in the summer at a better location and I'll try your suggestions. :)