New A3 or Golf VII

I've driven all the cars i've mentioned (has everyone else here done so out of interest?) and my perception of the quality of the cabins is of course subjective but I never claimed it to be otherwise. And from the reviews I've read (which are wholly objective by their nature) it seems I'm not alone in feeling the A3 has a classier, more quality cabin.

Out of interest I've had eight A3s since 1998 and three Golf GTi's and a Golf VR6. The interior of the A3 used be well ahead of the Golf but having now driven the new Golf and sat in a new A3 (but not driven yet) I personally think the interiors are of similar quality and I certainly do not consider the A3 interior to be 'streets ahead'. The design of the two is different and it's down to personal taste which you think is best. The A3 has the classier badge but nothing else.

As I have said before I have been driving an A3 of one sort or another continuously for 15 years and have loved every one of them but I much prefer the interior layout of the new Golf. Others will prefer the layout of the A3. At least we have the choice of two cars of equal quality with being available with the same DSG gearbox which is important to me.

Looked at both and the fact that the 3 door Golf is not available with S-tronic/DSG transmission made the decision easy. I also think the A3 interior is streets ahead of the Golf.
New A3 Sport on Order for March delivery - only a 6 week wait from date of order and a great P/X deal on my current A1

I'm not intending to change my car just yet but I have the opposite problem. I currently drive a 2.0TDI-170 Sportback DSG in SE trim and Audi do not offer such a model, but VW do in the new Golf.

There was a big difference in quality as the Golf went from MK4 to MK5, widening the gap at the time between A3 and Golf.

Now it's far closer, but the Audi still has the edge in quality particularly the 'soft touch' plastics. It'll be interesting to see how the Golf fares after a few years of use in terms of squeaks and rattles.

The design differences are subjective though and the A3 interior is a more radical shift from the norm. This is bound to polarise opinion, but each to their own.

I quite like the fact it's different.

particularly the 'soft touch' plastics.
I would suggest you go and see the new Golf's interior, and then you can come back and comment on the lack of soft touch plastics!!

In terms of squeaks and rattles, none of my two Audi A3s have been exempt from those. On my current one, the front middle armrest likes to make some noise, as well as the side panels/doors.

I think there is a tendency for people to try to justify that they get higher quality because they are paying more for an Audi, and I am afraid, quite a lot of it is down to perception, as many components are the same and the build quality is the same. It's then down to preferences, looks and paying for the badge but strangely people don't want to admit it.

Last edited:
The quality of the two interiors is very similar but I prefer the A3's dash design and layout. As to paying for the badge, that's a myth, if you compare similarly specced cars they are so close in price that it's irrelevant. Indeed with the A3 I have on order I will be paying less than a similarly specced Golf, allowing for the fact that to get a similar spec in a Golf it would have to be 5 door. This is helped by my Audi dealer giving me a better overall deal than was offered by the VW dealer.

The quality of the two interiors is very similar but I prefer the A3's dash design and layout. As to paying for the badge, that's a myth, if you compare similarly specced cars they are so close in price that it's irrelevant. Indeed with the A3 I have on order I will be paying less than a similarly specced Golf, allowing for the fact that to get a similar spec in a Golf it would have to be 5 door. This is helped by my Audi dealer giving me a better overall deal than was offered by the VW dealer.

I have done a detailed compare between the prices of the two models of the A3 and Golf that I would order and the Golf works out £1500 cheaper. As far as discount is concerned the salesman I have purchased all my eight A3s from has said that, although he works for an Audi dealership, because there of VW dealerships within the same group, he could offer me a similar discount on both models.
Interestingly the Lane Assist and Dynamic Light Control option on the A3 costs £625 on the A3 with the same option on the Golf costing £100 less at £520. On the Golf metallic paint is £25 less, park assist id £245 less, rear view camera £110 less, adaptive cruise control £575 on the A3, standard on the Golf, through-load £150 on the A3, standard on the Golf, tyre pressure loss indicator £75 on the A3, standard on the Golf and xenon headlights £465 less. Not large amounts but the do add up. In my particular spec the options on the A3 would add £5759 to the basic price of £22,745 total £28,504. The same spec Golf would be £3534 for the options and £23,430 basic price giving a total of £26,594, a saving of £1,540 before any discount. On my A3s I've usually secured a discount of around £2,500.

But at the end of the day it basically boils down to which interior system your prefer, the pop-up screen and MMI of the A3 or the touch screen and buttons of the Golf. Personally, although I think I prefer the touch screen solution having driven a new Golf, I have yet to try out the A3 solution whilst actually driving.

I have done a detailed compare between the prices of the two models of the A3 and Golf that I would order and the Golf works out £1500 cheaper.

I agree.

I recently did a price comparison between a Golf 1.4 GT TSI 5 door (140PS) and an A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI (122PS), with the options I wanted as close as possible. The A3 was almost £2000 more expensive, and that is with an inferior engine too, since the new ACT engine isn't available in the A3.

I've seen the interior of the new A3 and don't like it at all. The quality of the materials is good, although not significantly better than those in a Mk.6 GT Golf, but the general design and ergonomics are awful, IMO. (I have yet to see the Mk.7 Golf). The new A3 exterior looks very odd from certain angles too, IMO. The way the rear lights aren't flush with the bodywork looks amateurish, for instance.

But each to their own.

I would suggest you go and see the new Golf's interior, and then you can come back and comment on the lack of soft touch plastics!!

I guess that if you'd bothered to read some of my previous posts, you'd see that I've tried three versions of the new Golf - 1.4 SE, 1.4 ACT 140 GT and a 2.0 TDi GT 150 DSG. More than enough to comment, I would argue.

It only took one of those to make my mind up about the differences in quality. Whereas the new Golf runs the Audi far closer, you still can't beat Audi interiors. Read any review and you'll see the same old comments.

In terms of squeaks and rattles, none of my two Audi A3s have been exempt from those. On my current one, the front middle armrest likes to make some noise, as well as the side panels/doors.

I've owned 3 Audi A3 8P models (140 Sport, 140 S-line and S3) and I agree they weren't perfect by any means. The A4 is better 'put together' in terms of squeaks and rattles. The armrest was a really poor design in the A3, hitting the handbrake every time if it was in its lowered position. My Golf 5 started out OK, but developed far more rattles and squeaks as time went on than any of the A3s. I just wonder if the new one will do the same. Only time will tell.

I am afraid, quite a lot of it is down to perception, as many components are the same and the build quality is the same.

You'd think, wouldn't you. Just like Seat, Skoda, Lamborghini, Bugatti all use a common 'parts bin' to an extent..... extreme examples, maybe. The build quality of the car is more than a sum of its components. VWs built in Spain notoriously rattled more than those built in Germany.

It's then down to preferences, looks and paying for the badge but strangely people don't want to admit it.

I do agree though that badge and status is fairly important to any prestige car owner. If the car costs a very similar amount, why not have the badge as well? If the VW was £2k cheaper over a 3 year term for my spec, I'd have bought that. However, when there's next to nothing in it, I'll have the slightly better quality and badge.

I've seen the interior of the new A3 and don't like it at all.
I would argue that the price would be pretty much irrelevant if you didn't like the interior. If I didn't like the interior of either car, I wouldn't even consider it.

I have yet to see the Mk.7 Golf
I think you'll be really impressed with it. Quality is far superior to previous Golfs and nearly on par with the Audi.... just my opinion though! It's well worth a test drive.

But each to their own.

Couldn't agree more. If I didn't like the A3 interior, I'd have bought a new Golf without a second thought. In fact, if the GTI had been launched I would have ordered one this time around.

I have done a detailed compare between the prices of the two models of the A3 and Golf that I would order and the Golf works out £1500 cheaper.

This is a really valid point. Everyone has different requirements so their cost comparisons will all be different.

I have done a detailed compare between the prices of the two models of the A3 and Golf that I would order and the Golf works out £1500 cheaper. As far as discount is concerned the salesman I have purchased all my eight A3s from....

EIGHT A3s......I'd be more concerned about depreciation than a £1500 saving in your shoes!

Both cars are lovely, I narrowed my choice to these two before ordering the Audi. I was tempted by the basic spec of the mark 7 GT but the Audi worked on styling and comfort for me. It's just a good job everyone has different taste and needs to keep the market competitive, to drive innovation and offer something for everyone.... Lol and I am writing this on my iPad with my iPhone by my side :)

I guess that if you'd bothered to read some of my previous posts, you'd see that I've tried three versions of the new Golf - 1.4 SE, 1.4 ACT 140 GT and a 2.0 TDi GT 150 DSG. More than enough to comment, I would argue
No, I didn't indeed bother to check the full history of all your previous posts... What do you expect?
But complaining about the lack of soft plastic in the new Golf must be some sort of joke. How much softer would you like?

Just like Seat, Skoda, Lamborghini, Bugatti all use a common 'parts bin' to an extent..... extreme examples, maybe.
Well, no, most of those don't share the same chassis and the very same engines! I don't know if you have noticed, but the new Golf is not made in Spain, does not have inferior Skoda paint quality, and does share the very same chassis and engines with the A3. I can only assume those come from the same factory...

The styling of the two cars is of course different, but I really don't think the new Golf has an inferior build quality or inferior components compared to the new A3. Let's not kid ourselves here.

You are of course free to prefer the new A3, based on style, badge, interior or depreciation, but let's keep the comparisons reasonable.

Badge=image=lower depreciation, agreed. However, if the Golf is cheaper to buy, and depreciation not that different, then the A3 is not necessarily a better financial choice (particularly when they don't have the 1.4 Tfsi ACT engine available).

Last edited:
Reactions: tubster
It's just a good job everyone has different taste and needs to keep the market competitive
Sure, although the market is not completely free, as the VW group is putting some artificial constrains between the Golf and the A3, particularly in the UK market.
For instance, DSG is only available on a 5-door Golf in the UK.
1.4 Tfsi 140bhp ACT engine only available on a GT Golf currently rather than on other trim level or the A3 (for quite some time) etc.
I wish they wouldn't put those artificial limitations, and just let their customers chose (like a 3-door GT Golf with DSG, or an A3 S-tronic with 1.4 ACT...)

EIGHT A3s......I'd be more concerned about depreciation than a £1500 saving in your shoes!

I generally keep my A3s between two and three years and then trade-in and get a good trade-in value (around 55-60%) because of the condition of the car (according to the dealer) and a good discount (around £2500) on the new one). My current A3 is my eighth but my previous seven I have kept for 1)2.7 years and 45k miles,2)2.3years and 46k, 3)12 days (did not like the suspension on a S model), 4)1.3years and 24k (changed for the new shape) 5)2.6 years and 36k, 6)2.3 years and 31k and 7)2.8 years and 38k.

My current A3 is 11 months old and has done around 17k. I like new cars and at the moment can still afford to change quite often. I am retired with a reasonable pension and no mortgage to pay. I have no other 'expensive' hobbies other than my car and holidays to Europe, mostly to Germany in the car. I'm happy to pay between £3k and £4 a year for my car. Some of my friends spend that amount in a year playing Golf (not the car type).

If I liked the new A3 then I would buy one when the time comes but at the moment I prefer the Golf and it will actually cost me less. Full circle really as I had four Golf GTIs and a Golf VR6 before the A3s.

No, I didn't indeed bother to check the full history of all your previous posts... What do you expect?

Not necessary. It's all within this thread. Before making a disparaging comment I would consider it a polite courtesy to read the thread. Why would I make a comment without seeing both in the flesh?

But complaining about the lack of soft plastic in the new Golf must be some sort of joke. How much softer would you like?

There's no complaint - I'd be perfectly happy with the Golf. For the same money though, the Audi quality is better. My opinion. You certainly don't have to agree with it.

Well, no, most of those don't share the same chassis and the very same engines! I don't know if you have noticed, but the new Golf is not made in Spain.

But we're not talking about engines or chassis, are we. This is about interiors and they're very different. Are all the Golf 7 cars now made in Germany?

The styling of the two cars is of course different, but I really don't think the new Golf has an inferior build quality or inferior components compared to the new A3. Let's not kid ourselves here.

Quality is all about perception. How do you measure quality? It means different things to different people.

You are of course free to prefer the new A3, based on style, badge, interior or depreciation, but let's keep the comparisons reasonable.

Absolutely. Everyone is different. However, you're likely to find far more people who have chosen the Audi on an Audi forum! Their justification for purchase will be entirely rational based on their own personal circumstances. All these factors you mention will play a part.

the Audi still has the edge in quality particularly the 'soft touch' plastics
That's what you wrote before. Not many people who have seen the new Golf have complained about the quality of its soft plastics.
Quality is all about perception. How do you measure quality? It means different things to different people.
Quality is not really just about perception, is it?
Surely, it's about how well the parts are adjusted, materials used (and how well they will last in time), sound of the doors closing (better on the MK7 Golf than on my current A3!!), average faults for x number of cars, life expectancy etc. On that more rational basis, and given that many parts are the same, and the assembly is as good, I would come to the conclusion that the quality of a MK7 Golf is as good as a new A3 (and actually, if we were to base quality on onjectives facts, the Japanese cars would be miles ahead of German cars!).

Yes, I don't expect much support of the Golf on an Audi forum, although I think many people, like me, are probably looking at the Golf MK7 and the A3 at the same time (and therefore VW and Audi forums), and both cars have never been so close.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I wrote. Audi has the 'edge' in quality, not that the Golf was bad! Simply the Audi was marginally better... in my opinion, of course.

I would argue that quality is all about perception. People will put a different weighting on all those things you mention. If a higher weighting is put on average faults, you'd buy a Honda. VW or Audi don't tend to do so well here. I wouldn't own an Audi without a warranty, that's for sure.

Most people have no interest in how a door sounds closing.... as long as it closes properly (their measure of quality). However, it matters to us otherwise we probably wouldn't be buying VAG products.

I also looked at an A7 Sportback, Mercedes C250, BMW X6 which are in a different class to the A3/Golf. However, not one of them provided anything 'extra' in terms of quality or features for me to justify the additional cost. However, the A3 had plenty for me over similar offerings from other manufacturers. For the next person, a Focus may provide all they need and live up to all their expectations in terms of quality.

You are spot on though in your comments about them never being so close.

Audi a3 all the way. The golf is nice (ive test drove both) but the a3 has the smarter interior and of course the Audi rings. The rising from dash screen is so much nicer than the one the golf has.

Audi a3 all the way. The golf is nice (ive test drove both) but the a3 has the smarter interior and of course the Audi rings. The rising from dash screen is so much nicer than the one the golf has.

Whilst I won't get into the "brand image" debate or how much you're paying for the badge, I have to agree on the screen. I had both my 8P and 8V for a month and drove both and it felt so awkward looking down at the RNS-E screen in the 8P compared to the pop up one in the 8V. Was reminded of this again when I had an 8P loaner from the dealer.

Reactions: PjDali
I'm not intending to change my car just yet but I have the opposite problem. I currently drive a 2.0TDI-170 Sportback DSG in SE trim and Audi do not offer such a model, but VW do in the new Golf.

That's exactly my problem at the moment. I currently drive a Scirocco DSG, but it's up for change at the end of this year, so as I wanted to get back in a hatchback (done the Coupe thing now), the natural progression was a MK7 Golf. My local dealer had a "open day" a few weeks ago and I managed a to get a 5 door 1.4 TDI (cylinder deactivation) GT for the weekend (I have purchased 4 new cars from them in the last 5 years). My impression over the weekend is that the new 1.4 140bhp, certainly has enough power to propel the Golf at reasonable speeds, and seems pretty refined.

As has been said, the new build quality is certainly a step up from previous generations, but overall, I left feeling a little cold towards it (which very much surprised me, as I absolutley loved my MK5 GT 2.0 TDI). Not that it's a bad car, it certainly isn't it's brilliant, but having a MK5 Golf before the Rocco, it just doesn't look that much different (and certainly not much different from a MK6 that it replaced). the wife even called it nice but boring :laugh:

We then went to the Audi dealership (as we'd heard the new A3 (8V) was built on the same MQB chassis as the new Golf, and immediately fell in love with it. You guys that had the previous shape might not think it's much different (ala MK6 to MK7 Golf), but from someone who's not owned an Audi in 20 years, I loved everything about it.

However, the problem for me (currently) is, I want the 5 door Sportback S-Line, but also want DSG. Currently in the initial offerings, only the 1.8 TFSI Petrol is available in the Sportback. Ideally, I'd want the 1.4 ACT (140bhp) - if Audi ever adopt it, or the 2.0 150bhp or 180bhp Diesel but all with DSG. I'm hoping that in the early Summer (June / July time), Audi will phase in other engine / transmission options for the Sportback, which if price is still OK, will be my perfect next car.

Last edited:
However, the problem for me (currently) is, I want the 5 door Sportback S-Line, but also want DSG. Currently in the initial offerings, only the 1.8 TFSI Petrol is available in the Sportback. Ideally, I'd want the 1.4 ACT (140bhp) - if Audi ever adopt it, or the 2.0 150bhp or 180bhp Diesel but all with DSG. I'm hoping that in the early Summer (June / July time), Audi will phase in other engine / transmission options for the Sportback, which if price is still OK, will be my perfect next car.

As far as I can see from the Audi/VW ETKA (Electronic Parts Catalogue) there are version with the 2.0TDI 150 and 183hp engines due for production some time this coming summer, but when they will be available in the UK is as yet unknown.

I know what you mean about going from an older Golf to an A3, all be it in my case from a Golf 2.8 VR6 to a A3 Sport 1.8T. This was back in 1998 and I just loved the A3. But the Golf has moved on and in my opinion is just as good in quality as the A3. It just depends which interior layout you prefer as, now, so many of the components including engines and gearboxes are all built in the same factory and used by each brand. Quite a few of the engines now used on Audis are made in a Skoda factory!

Whilst I won't get into the "brand image" debate or how much you're paying for the badge, I have to agree on the screen. I had both my 8P and 8V for a month and drove both and it felt so awkward looking down at the RNS-E screen in the 8P compared to the pop up one in the 8V. Was reminded of this again when I had an 8P loaner from the dealer.

i own an Audi rings much better to some **** mate of a mate lawyer you've met in a bar than i own a golf. I like the brand as my father has owned audis for years.
i don't however own an iPhone. Nokia Lumia 920 Windows phone all the way!

I called in to another VW dealer this afternoon to check up on a couple of measurements of the Golf VII. The luggage area size is important to me as I'm beginining to lose the full use of my legs. I can walk short distances with no problem but my legs start to stiffen up and become very painful over longer distances. For that reason I have a mobility scooter which I use and take away with me on holiday. It just fits in the 810mm length of the luggage area of my existing 2012 A3. The luggage area on the new A3 is 30mm shorter and in the Golf VII even 20 mm shorter than that.

In the showroom with several new Golf VIIs was a Golf VI Estate and the luggage compartment in that was 1070mm, some 260mm longer than my existing A3. Assuming the new Golf VII Estate is a similar length and as I would want to stay with VAG and the DSG gearbox, it looks like it's going to have to be a Golf VII Estate or a new Skoda Octavia Estate. Neither of these are available until around the middle of 2013, so it's a good job I bought my A3 when I did in March 2012.

Last edited:
Sport back?
Sorry I should have said I was referring to the Sportback/5-door. My current A3 is a Sportback and I would not consider anything else. The 30mm shorter than my existing A3 was the figure for the new Sportback according to the Audi brochure - existing 2012 Sportback 810mm, new Sportback 778mm, new 3-door 770mm, new 5-door Golf VII 760mm, existing Golf VI Estate 1070mm.

I do own an iPhone, I applaud your intuition & perceptiveness. I also tested every other car that fitted into the category of what we wanted, from Fords to BMW's, but it was the Audi that we(SWMBO & I) both liked and that's why we chose to spend our own money on it.
The worst thing about Audi in my eyes is they promote a model yet when I went in to order it (Oct) the order couldn't actually be placed until Dec and delivery won't be until at least May as build week is 15. Why they can't build cars that they advertise is beyond me?
i don't believe Audi's are the best thing since sliced bread, but I do have my opinion on the golf, which I shared:yahoo:
i bet you have a Samsung or Nokia? Lol.

Hmmm... I am interested in an A3 to replace my aging BMW X5. But this conversation of Golf vs. A3 has me rattled. Is this akin to Passat vs. A4 arguments? Or is the A3 really that down market that VW is a better choice for a lot of people?

No offense intended against VW owners-- but I do want a bit of prestige in my car, and VW does not sell that.

And by the way, there is no shame in liking an iphone over a Samsung. iphone invented that phone. Samsung stole a lot from Apple.

Which of the cars A3 or Golf VII is the better car is down to personal choice, but you will always pay a little more for the Audi because they are perceived to be better quality and more 'upmarket' than the VW. This is the one of the reasons why some people, including my self, have paid more for the A3 than the Golf. However, with the release of the latest Golf VII, personally I feel the quality is now very much on a par and it's now much more down to personal taste, particularly of the interior layout and image.

Must admit having owned a VW and Audi, both were very well built and never regretted buying either.

The question of VAG marque prestige is lets face it very subjective but when you look at TV and movies and situations where a car is being sought to add a touch of class or dare I say it show a modicum of wealth, I'd reckon 99 times out of 100 you'd see an Audi as opposed to a VW. Can think of several films where Audi's used but can't recall too many VW's in car scenes? May seem a daft point but for me this is where prestige is being sold to the viewer.....

Jason Statham careering at breakneck speed about in an A4 3.0 Quattro (or something similar) in the Transporter........not sure the car scenes would be quite as sharp if a VW Passat was used :laugh: Of course there are other marques that will trump Audi in the prestige stakes but hey Porsche and Ferrari, Aston Martin etc are in a class of their own (in my opinion).

I personally have not chosen to buy another Audi A3 because of a badge it's simply cos I reckon it's a crackin motor......but I dare say for every guy like me who is not swayed by a badge there will be someone else who is influenced by the four rings.

Jason Statham careering at breakneck speed about in an A4 3.0 Quattro (or something similar) in the Transporter

Just to be totally anal, because I can't help myself...

It was an A8 W12 Quattro in Transporter 2

:D

Reactions: PjDali
Just to be totally anal, because I can't help myself...

It was an A8 W12 Quattro in Transporter 2

:D
... and the photo of the GTI in post #4 is a Mk6 with Xenons not a Mk7.

I really enjoyed reading this thread.

In summary: The style of the new Golf is very like the old one. The style of new A3 is very like old one. The BMW 1 series is fugly.

I agree with all that.

I did not notice anyone really mention the feeling of space inside the new A3. As the ad says, 'just like a Golf!' :p

My wife drives my old Mk5 Golf and I have a Mk6 GTD. We have had a test drive in the new A3. My wife likes the exterior style. Though I think it looks too similar to the old model. My wife is not sure about the minimalist dash with pop-up screen. The old A3 felt a lot smaller inside than the Golf. I had a test drive in both before buying.

My wife wants a new car. She had a polo and does not want another VW. We are waiting to see the new A3 saloon in the flesh.

(I have an iphone. My wife has a Samsung. I would be happy to drive either phone ;))

My wife wants a new car. She had a polo and does not want another VW. We are waiting to see the new A3 saloon in the flesh.

(I have an iphone. My wife has a Samsung. I would be happy to drive either phone ;))

Get her to try the A1 in either 3 or 5-door. My wife's previous car was a Polo but she now has an A1 3-door 1.6 TDI and loves it. I've never driven it ( It's a manual and I'd probably forget to put the clutch down!!) but I've been a passenger quite often and it's very comfortable and quite roomy for a small car.

(I don't have any type of smartphone, just an old Nokia flip-phone, but I do have a Nexus 7 tablet)

Get her to try the A1 in either 3 or 5-door. My wife's previous car was a Polo but she now has an A1 3-door 1.6 TDI and loves it. I've never driven it ( It's a manual and I'd probably forget to put the clutch down!!) but I've been a passenger quite often and it's very comfortable and quite roomy for a small car.
We went to look at the A1. After looking around the car and sitting in it - my wife didn't even want to test drive it.

She likes the A3.