not a good start!

T3nnant

Reaction score
After owning my A4 170 quattro for less and 2 month iv already had the dfp light on and to my surprise after a quick wash today i noticed at least 2inches of water sloshing about around my battery!

20130215_174455_zps8ab22c1a.jpg

Hard to see in photo as water is see through...

but after about an hour of rinsing my microfibre cloths out i finally got it out, iv stuck two cloths back in and wedged them under battery and around pipes to catch anymore water but i think its something to do with not having the full covers over the battery? i only have the left hand side part.

hopeing i dont have anymore collecting here.

Oh and iv also noticed a chip in my windscreen!

arggghhhh!!!

Under the battery there are two grommets which should allow water to drain from that part, but they get clogged up with gunk. It's fine for some water to go in there, but it should drain straight out. If you remove the battery and clean the grommets it should stop it refilling.

Some people also just remove them. The grommets are there to stop water entering from below if it'd a wet road, but that's not likely so I'd just remove them.

Have you found your car steams up a lot? The water in the plenum can slosh around and into the cabin if you're not careful leading to wet carpets and ruined electrics. Just make sure you keep your eye in it, it's a very common fault.

Hi mate this is a very common a4 and passat problem if you look down the bottom of the bulkhead under screen theres 2 drain hoes that get blocked up and fills it with water you have to remove battery and there should be a rubber gromet in each best to pull them out altogether rather than clean them out also check in rear passenger footwell as the water goes down near pollen filter and ends up in there i had an inch in mine and your comfort control unit is in the floor that controls all electrics a comon sign is alarm going off all hours as mine did and you cant lock the car without it on so i had to leave it unlocked for days if your carpet is wet on top there will be a lot more water underneath i have read of people drilling holes in floor to get rid of it . Just google it see what comes up

Under the battery there are two grommets which should allow water to drain from that part, but they get clogged up with gunk. It's fine for some water to go in there, but it should drain straight out. If you remove the battery and clean the grommets it should stop it refilling.

Some people also just remove them. The grommets are there to stop water entering from below if it'd a wet road, but that's not likely so I'd just remove them.

Have you found your car steams up a lot? The water in the plenum can slosh around and into the cabin if you're not careful leading to wet carpets and ruined electrics. Just make sure you keep your eye in it, it's a very common fault.

Ah ha! Sounds like the plan tomorrow cheers for that guys. And yess car has been steaming up badly and iv put this down to soaking mats off the snow!
Put a smile on my face there hah

Check the carpets if its steaming up did you google it as there is also a step by step how to guide to do them

Check the carpets if its steaming up did you google it as there is also a step by step how to guide to do them

i didnt google it no, literally only found the water today and was shocked.
Ill have a good look tomorrow when its light out