wrong fuel help don't know what to do????

gussyldr

Reaction score
hi all the car is an a3 2.0tdi basically fuel light came on so i went to fill up and filled up £20 and went on my way i was doing about 60mph and my car started slowing down so i pulled up and it turned off so tried turning it over a couple times with no luck after about half hr it started an i was away again pulled up to a set of traffic lights and it turned off again then it started again after about 5min then i realised ive put petrol instead of diesel not only that but it was vpower the diesel and vpower look the same at shell so i filled up about £50 diesel shook the car for abit and hoped it worked and it did but every time i stop it keeps turning off then it turned of for the last time and wont turn over does any one think i shold get it draind of fuel and fill up with fresh diesel or is it to late for that?
whats my options?

New fuel pump on the horizon if you've driven it that much

You need to get it drained of fuel and checked over... Do not drive it any more

New fuel pump on the horizon if you've driven it that much

You need to get it drained of fuel and checked over... Do not drive it any more
What Boon says,once you realized you had mis-fuelled you should have had the car recovered and the fuel tank drained.
Your not alone as mis-fuelling is one of the main reasons for recovery call outs..

Yup, drain the system completely (get someone like AA to do it) and then it'll be a check of the whole fuel system to see what needs replaced. If you put diesel in a petrol engine I'm pretty sure the effects are catastrophic, but petrol in a diesel doesn't always spell disaster. Driving it that far, and then trying to just top up with diesel wasn't the best plan... you might be looking at a few replacement parts - pump, maybe injectors?

Maybe a full stop once in a while too.

Petrol hasn't got the lube that is in diesel (heavy oil) and it will very quickly ruin the internals of high pressure fuel pumps, possibly other components too

Hence why 2 stroke oil is added to petrol, to lube

As said probably too late, if you feel you want to chance it, then pop up the rear seat, remove the lift pump & drain it til its dry, remove fuel filter, drain the filter housing, fit new filter, put some derv in, then bleed it through, then try starting the car, at your risk that is.