RobMorris Audi A4 2.5 V6 tdi avant

Great thread so far and I really admire the work your putting in to this! I just wish I had the time to take on a similar project! Will be keeping an eye on this one...

Cheers mate, ive so far been given majority positive feedback which I like.
Ive got a day off soon and my next job is the wheel bearing - my wheeel sound like its going to fall off!

OK so I had 2 reasons to remove the coin and drinks trays. Both didnt work, and both needed carbon wrapping..

The coin holder had coins stuck so with a shake and a tap, the mechanism was free of loose change and working again.

The drinks holder had a different problem obviously, it was covered in some sticky residue from a drink I guess? (Hopefully!)

Run a sink full of hot water and added some sterillising tablets into the water and let them get their fizz on.

Left the unit in there and it popped open. The picture doesnt do it justice, the crap that come out of it was disgusting!

046BE2DB.jpg

Its squeaky clean and working perfect now though..

I carbon wrapped the fronts but forgot to take a pic. You can see them installed in the background of this pic though (Pic relating to an ICE issue I have.)

50C911A9.jpg

Cheers

Glad I hadnt found the time so got a local mechanic to fit the f/n/s wheel bearing, fuel filter and glow plugs.
All caused the mechanic agro.
3 of the plugs were cross threaded.
And the bearing would not budge! Not sure how he removed it in the end. Might be best I dont know!

***Q - The main reason to replace the plugs was because it takes about 10 secoonds for the glow light to go out?

Now ive changed - it still takes about 10 seconds!

Any advice?

Rob, epic thread mate look forward to following your deeds. Did you resolve the worn cam issue or is it not an issue?

You should change the coolant temp. sensor, that's why the glow plug is on for 10 sec... The glowplugs are not cross threaded, they just have a sharp thread which cuts into the head and it comes off on removal, you're lucky they did not snap !

Cheers mate - I was concerned about them snapping.. thank god they didnt!
Il seek out that sensor! cheap and easy fix and fit is it?

Buy it genuine from dealer or TPS, they last much longer...

Ive bought myself a sensor now. So hope to have that in one eve this week.
I guess ive not wasted money on the plugs as ive noticed no smoke on start up and much better running in the first few seconds?

Ive had the VCDS lite on the car and have come up with 3 errors..

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.0
Monday, 11 March 2013, 22:31:06:0
Control Module Part Number: 8E0 614 517
Component and/or Version: ABS/ESP front 1729
Software Coding: 04455
Work Shop Code: WSC 00001
1 Fault Found:
18265 - Load Signal: Error Message from ECU
P1857 - 35-00 - -

Monday, 11 March 2013, 22:34:27:0
Control Module Part Number: 8E0 959 433 BD
Component and/or Version: Komfortgerát TBF 1310
Software Coding: 07115
Work Shop Code: WSC 63351
Additional Info: 8E2959802B Tõrsteuer.FS BRM 0002
Additional Info: 8E2959801B Tõrsteuer.BF BRM 0002
1 Fault Found:
01705 - Selection Switch for Mirror-Adjust (E48)
27-00 - Implausible Signal

Monday, 11 March 2013, 22:35:28:0
Control Module Part Number: 8E0 907 401 Q
Component and/or Version: 2.5l V6 TDI 0000SG 0014
Software Coding: 02012
Work Shop Code: WSC 63351
Additional Info: 00006059 130 106JC150_1.V79956063381
Additional Info: 00006059 130 106JC150_1.V79956063381
1 Fault Found:
00522 - Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62)
30-10 - Open or Short to Plus – Intermittent

I have a new G62 temp sensor on its was.
Can anyone shed any light on my first 2 probs? I have my ESP light on so know I have a problem somewhere?

Further research - The 2nd one is basically as I have the door card along with the mirror adjust off at the mo..

But this one im not having much luck with?

18265 - Load Signal: Error Message from ECU.

Ive read 1 post to replace the brake light switch from under the brake pedal?
And 10 others where no advice was given?

As im about a week away from my cars big anniversery (200k!) I tonight treated her to a present...
A blacksmoke remap! 190bhp/290lb.. Goes well..

I wouldn't imagine the Blacksmoke map will cause any issues to be perfectly honnest, I had it on mine for a day and wasn't very impressed at all, it ran smoother but i really don't think it was running much better than stock, I've since got a new map (from somewhere else) and it feels alot more aggressive, it feels like its going to spin all 4 wheels now.

With the mileage, I didnt want a lot of extra power. I wanted a conservative smooth map with increased MPG.
This map is perfect for me.
Before it felt like the turbo was off then on at above 2k. I found it annoying to drive.
Now its just progressive boost from im guessing around 1500rpm and smooth through out.
I felt flat spots/hesitation before through the rev range, running out of puff around 4k. Now its just smooth up to just under 5k.

Smooth!

Reactions: peposhi
Enjoyed reading this! Just wondering how do the Infinitys sound with the stock setup? As I'm considering changing mines too

Cheers mate - ive not got round to installing the speakers yet as ive not had a big enough chunk of time to do so..
Im going to try grab a couple of hours in the garage tonight to do a few jobs..

Was able to get a couple of hours tonight.
Today I received my new coolant temp sensor so went about fitting it..
Opened the bonnet and spotted it straight away - you can just see the hint of green..
106.jpg

Really easy to change, just pull out the clip using a pair of pliers, and just pull it out.
Mine had a coat of gunky crust over it so it definitely needed replacing.
The most difficult bit was getting the clip back on. Using the pliers made it easy enough though..
Took less than 5 mins.
108.jpg

Oops didnt realise this would happen! I lost about 2 litres coolant/water, but thankfully had spare to top her up.
109.jpg

I then went about taking bits out to vinyl wrap.
I used this as a guide.
B6 A4/S4: Remove & Install interior dash & door trim
113.jpg

I noticed someone had also wrapped the light level and light switch surround, so followed the idea considering mine was scuffed anyway..
I lose the icons, but I think I know when i have my lights on or off!
114.jpg

and then the finished result..
I am quite happy with the result.
116.jpg

Cheers!

Reactions: steamship
Rob

Can i ask, where did you purchase the coolant temp sensor from, i think i may need one!
Cheers

I am finding this whole thread fascinating. I have so little mechanical ability that these days, I wouldn't even attempt an oil change for fear that I might drain the gearbox of automatic tranmission fluid, and then try to fill the engine with power steering fluid!

I am hugely admiring of people with your level of skill, and I'm really enjoying seeing this previously neglected car being brought back to life. Keep up the great work!

Last edited:
Reactions: RobMorris
Really like what you did with the climate control unit. Any chance of a pic with it lit up at night. I don't think I have the patience to do that but would like to redo my buttons, and having the red and blue around the edge looks nice.

There you go mate..

CE701A92.jpg

Reactions: steamship
Spotted today on eBay at 2.00pm
Decided to buy them by 2.05pm
Paid by PayPal by 2.10pm
Collected at 6.00pm
On the car by 7.00pm!

A poor pic in some light at the garage - I went for 34psi all round - that should be ok?

449E49AD.jpg

Nice work, now the fun begins (lowering)!

I run mine at 34 and they all wear evenly and the handling inspires confidence.

Im not going crazy with the lowering, but im just going to go for a set of Eibach pro-kit lowering springs..

Top work mate. How did you get the electric window switch out? I need to do something with mine as its heavily scratched.

Mike