LOCK AND KEY PROMBLEM!!!

HSM

Reaction score
Hi,
I recentley bought an audi a3 3dr 1.6 from my local garage, everything was fine until a couple days after i tried to open my boot with the key i was given,(i was given 1 key only as this is how the garage had recieved it) but the key did not fit the lock, so i tried to open my glove compartment lock, still the key did not fit. the key only fits the ignition and the driver door lock, as it is a 3 door the driver door only has a key hole lock. the car also has an alarm so whenever it sounds i have to open the door put the key in the ignition and turn the key half way to stop it, as the key is just a normal manual key and not an electronic one. I have told my dealer and he said there was nothing he could do about it, i rang my local Audi dealer and they said there could be a possibilty that the barral could have been changed along with the driver door lock to which the key only fits to.

what should i do now? should i get all the locks changed and let the my local garage take the bill or is there any other suggestions???

i would appreiciate it very much if someone could help with this.
thanks.

It seems as if you have only got the 'valet/service' key. Audi usually supply this key so when your car goes in for a service you can lock your belongings in the glovebox/boot knowing the garage cannot access them.

I haven't got a key like that for my S3 !!
Besides its pretty useless securing the boot as you can gain access via the back seats anyway.

Which brings up a good point Paul. Have y'all seen those locking seat backs?? I can't remember WHERE I saw it, might have been Dad's A6, but where the latch is to pull the seats forward, is also a lock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I know the boot can be accessed from the inside but that's what my one key is used for apparently.

do you have the previous owners address off of the log book? It might be worth a phone call to see if they know what happened or if they have the old key. I take it the central locking works ok and you can actually get into the boot from outside?