suspension bolt question

Ollie-B

Rockin' Shnit
Reaction score
Wheres the best place to get the long bolt that clamps in my 2 front upper suspension arms? Please dont say the dealers. Just i went to fit my coilovers today and had to give it up as a bad trick as that bolt is going to snap unless i get some heat on it. The head turns while the threads stay still. I can get the nut off no problem but the bolt just wont budge. So i want 2replacments incase i break them next weekend.

I fitted my coilovers without the need to remove the upper pinch bolt.

It can be an utter pain I believe, I have my new upper arms to fit - tried the bolt but it wouldnt budge.
I think im going to have to drill it out to be honest.

How did you do it without removing it? Buy taking the bolts out of the top of the arms instead? I debated that aswel but the right hand bolt did the same moved so far then seemed to just stop playing the game

Here's what you need to do is undo the hub nut then once that is done the undo the brake cailper and carrier remove break disc then once you've done that undo the steering bolt ( track rod end) move the cables out of the way you can unplug them there a rubber gromit on the wheel arch pull that out of the way then you can unplug the wire from there then you can undo the 3 bolts that hold your sturt to the body of your car you will find the bolts in the engine bay the once all that donethe hold unit drops out the you can use spring clamps to get the spring and strut out the you can add your coil over unit and put it all back together much easier this why took me 2 hours this way much better then trying to undo the bolt witch can take all weekend

While that's possibly a way of doing it, I would still consider taking the pinch bolt out. I know it's a pain, but it could do with it anyway. If you ever have to replace a control arm you'll need it out. And once out the front suspension is easy.

We had to use excess heat on mine, they did exactly the same thing with the head just sheering off. It took 6 hours to remove the two pinch bolts.

I bought 4 bolts from the dealer: two replacements, one was for hitting to push the old one out, and the fourth was a spare. They're only a couple of quid each. Get in touch with stoke audi on here, they'll post them out to you if you don't have a dealer close by. I think four bolts, nuts and washers was about a tenner ish.

If you do remove them, cover them in copper slip so they don't seize again.

I think they're a one use part technically. As far as I remember the Haynes manual says to replace them each time you remove them, which seems excessive. But if you've already started sheering the head I'd really consider doing them. It seems like you've past the point of no return, but it'll be worth it in the end.