Long Life Service

jpeterman

Reaction score
Hello
I've got a 2001 (51) S3 on the long life service plan.
Has just done 53,000 miles, and had a service on 45,000 last December.
The computer is telling me it's another 10,000 miles to go before the next service. I had planned to get another service done in December, but that's only about another 1500 miles.
Is it "safe" just to go by what the car tells you as the service interval on the long life plan? I went to an S3 from an old TR7, so I'm still stuck in the "better safe than sorry attitude" towards servicing, but would rather not have to spend the money if I don't have to.

I've had my 02 S3 from new, and decided to go the AVS (Variable servicing) route. Car has just had its second AVS service at 34000 miles.

On AVS servicing cars average about 16-18K miles between services, depending how the car is driven.

I think it probably is "safe" to go with what the car tells you, so long as you know that the car has the correct oil in etc. i.e. it meets the correct VW spec.

I decided to go the AVS route because I knew I'd have the car for a few years, and I (mistakenly?) believed the hype that long term it would be cheaper. I think that was Audi marketing BS. I also thought Audi must have worked this out, so why not trust them.

Just for the record I have spend about £750-800 on servicing in approx 3.5years of ownership.

If I had my time again I think I'd go for 10000 mile servicing, it may work out cheaper, and I think more servicing is better than less.

Hope this helps.

AL

im keeping mine on avs but im going to change the oil every 7 k as i didnt like the look of the oil that came out at 34,000 2nd avs.

would never leave oil in for that long, but purely due to an old school attitude. i know they are better and vw obviously trust it, think of the warranty claims otherwise, but have a friend with an s3 on 66k which uses oil quite a bit on avs system.

change mine every 5k, though i do it myself and keep 10k service history, also use vw/audi oil/filter and sump nut.

but as i said, old school attitude. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I've just taken my TDI off AVS by servicing it myslef. I'm going to br sticking to the 10K intervals, as the car felt and sounded so much better after the oild change. The more changes the better, even with fancy oil.

I took mine off AVS when I bought it. I share the old school view - change the oil & filter every 5,000 miles.