2.5 TDI Engine Alternatives B6

Legacy87

Reaction score
Hi All,
As some of you may have already seen i recently found out my camshafts have self destructed on my 2.5 TDI, I refuse to shell out £1200-£1500 to repair them so am looking at alternatives.

My engine is the 2.5 TDI Quattro 6 Speed Manual Sport (180BHP) Version Code: AKE

Now from what i can gather earlier engines (A**) have these butter like camshafts but later model (B**) Engines do not, And are sold with much much better cams.

Now i am considering purchasing a low-ish milage B** Engine but need to know other differences, and if there is any reason i could not fit these directly into my AKE Engined car?

I would be doing a full service (belts, water pump etc) before fitting as its generally easier on the bench. and the engine i buy will probably come minus the turbo/fuel pump as these are commonly removed.

SO will i be able to fit a B** Engine to my car? And does it matter if its a 180, 168 or whatever? or will my ECU make it the 180 Version? i assume things like the Pump/Turbo are different on the 168 model? Can i just swap mine onto it? I assume i just fit my Injectors if the new one doesnt come with new ones.

What do i need to look out for when buying a new engine other than the obvious cam wear, any engine i buy i will want to inspect the cams before parting with any cash.

I dont have the cash to upgrade at the moment so the stock turbo, injectors, pump etc will be going back on the new engine until i can afford to replace them.

Stop wasting time and fix the devil you know ! The BDG/BAU/BDH engines are indeed lower friction engines and heads will bolt on the AKE engine, however they don't have as much lift as the AKE engines and the injectors/pumps are different. You can use the ones you have no problem but the hollow cams are not that well engineered and unless you get one with replacement SOLID cams i would stick with the AKE with the kolbenshmidt cam/lifter kits !
If you're not too far from N. London then pop over and i'll take you for a drive in the a6...

I think I'm going to be trading it in on a B7 now, I've noticed there are a few mid rices b7's appeared for under £4k for around 140k

i can't warrant fixing the b6 when I know if I part exchange it and add the price of fixing it I can have the model I wanted in the first place.

Don't even think the b7 is any more reliable than the b6 ! I wished you cam e and seen my blue avant that i have rebuilt when you looked for yours, it had all the work done to it, sold it to a mate last week for £2700 as it was on genuine 18" rs4 style alloys. When fixed properly they do fly !

I will also put Martin's/FJ Twelve audi a6 for sale, now that it's driving nicely i got rather bored and looking at finishing my t4 Combi van... All the work has been done, running round 300 Bhp and still returns 45-48Mpg when driven steadily ! Latest mods were top strut brace and Eibach 32mm front strut brace to compliment the rear rs6 antiroll bar !

Its not so much the reliability,
The B7 looks better, And i'd be going for the early 1.9 TDI or 2.0 TDI Version for extreme cheapness to fix in comparison to the V6's
I won't own another one now and im way past the point of being able to afford to fix this one.

Good luck with your new, potential purchase ! I replace at least 2-3 EGR valves a month on the 2.0 tdi, replaced a few throttle intake valves, couple of sets of injectors and many, many clutches ! I would not trade Martin's high mileage a6 with a new car to be honest, fix the cam issue and you'll enjoy driving it again !

Haha I wish I could afford it, wanna buy an absolutely mint 2.5 tdi? Lol

Chris I've read another thread you posted a while back when you stated that Martin's A6 is returning 48mpg, I thought it might of been a typo mistake! That A6 with that power and returning up to 48 mpg when driven steady is outstanding! I know it was returning 32mpg before you put the spanners to work and I thought that was good considering the power you get.

Turbo, injectors and exhaust when done right seem like a good mod to me!

John

John, the a6 driven steadily it does in excess of 48Mpg but i have to drive it with slow acceleration and keep it off boost. With major boost leaks it still does 40-44Mpg. Lowest tan was 485 miles and highest was 680 miles......