turbo upgrade

Yep as above the 2ltr Tdi 170 turbo is a bolt on upgrade and with a remap, front mounted intercooler, EGR delete and a remap you can get close to 200bhp or so I'm told.

This thread has popped up just at the right time as im also toying with the same idea as I allready have frontmount and egr delete just need remap and turbo. Will the bv43 fit directly to my quattro 1.9tdi though.

I also have a turbo back stainless fitted to so will it sound different to my turbo now would love more turbo whistle lol.

its the bv43a variant your looking for as the b is for the 140bhp models, there was a thread a while back which im sure it said was a direct replacement on the awx/avf engines, ill try and find it...

I've just picked up a bv43, gunna fit it when I have found a suitable front mount. It is a direct swap for the old one, bolt on bolt off. Should work well with a decat.

What FMIC are people running please?

I have also read the thread regarding this upgrade. But have also heard that you wont feel the full benefit unless you upgrade the injectors also.. Not sure if anyone on hear knows for sure

I've just picked up a bv43, gunna fit it when I have found a suitable front mount. It is a direct swap for the old one, bolt on bolt off. Should work well with a decat.

i thought our already fmic are good upto 250- 300 horses?

I think thats only on the 2.5, the 1.9 only has the single Intercooler if i remember rightly, the 2.5 has Twin Intercoolers (One either side). Which i have also been told is 250-300bhp capable but i really fail to see how even non forward facing wing mounted plastic ended twin intercoolers can can be anywhere near as efficient as a fully aluminium single fmic mounted in the bumper behind a votex kit.

Somebody may put me right, but in my opinion you would shorten the length of tube the air has to travel, hence fill the pipes faster and less lag. but i could be wrong :D

Somebody said about mounting a GT20 from a 2.5 180 a few weeks back, I think that could probably improve the car no end.

Reactions: Slinepete

No need for a fmic, stock intercooler is adequate unless you live in Africa ! Watch the gearbox with the bv43...

I think thats only on the 2.5, the 1.9 only has the single Intercooler if i remember rightly, the 2.5 has Twin Intercoolers (One either side). Which i have also been told is 250-300bhp capable but i really fail to see how even non forward facing wing mounted plastic ended twin intercoolers can can be anywhere near as efficient as a fully aluminium single fmic mounted in the bumper behind a votex kit.

Somebody may put me right, but in my opinion you would shorten the length of tube the air has to travel, hence fill the pipes faster and less lag. but i could be wrong

Your correct. The shorter distance the air has to pass the less it compresses and then expands when asked for. It can't harm the incoming air charge to be cooler, yes the stock set up may cope with higher power, doesn't mean it is comfortable. The greater the incoming air charge is cooled the greater the volumetric efficiency of the engine.

Do BV43's kill gearboxes? How would it handle on a stock 5 speed? Guessing single mass flywheel and VR6 clutch are necessary.

Do BV43's kill gearboxes? How would it handle on a stock 5 speed? Guessing single mass flywheel and VR6 clutch are necessary.
Mine just munched the syncromesh in 3rd gear and now the box is locked in 1st ! The single mass flywheel and heavy duty clutch did not help and probably leaded to a premature death ! Just bought a full 1.9Tdi quattro 2004 to use for parts for that conversion, it would have been too much to buy the exhaust, downpipe and rear subframe/box/diff and tank. This way i know it would bolt on !

The intercooler is not necessary with the bv43 but it would maintain power if driven hard at high motorway speeds. It would definetelly need a remap, mine was a dog to drive prior the map but the gearbox did not play ball for too long- couple of days to be honest !

You'll have a monster when that's finished, two hundred bhp easy and better mpg than any car with that power.

You'll have a monster when that's finished, two hundred bhp easy and better mpg than any car with that power.
I kinda doubt it my friend, me other c5 v6 tdi quattro is capable to return 48Mpg average if driven steadily !