how do you get colour dis?

full cluster
then the immobliser needs redoing etc
make sure you get the right cluster the diesel or s4 rs4 v6 ones wont work

yes iv only ever bought 3 in the past 7/8 years

Any B6 diesel cluster works in any B6 diesel. I have a 2.5 diesel colour cluster in my 1.9 TDI.

Different story for B7's though. And you can use a B7 cluster, but the immobiliser needs to be permanently disabled (or something like that) so it's not worth it.

So a B6 colour cluster (obviously a compatible engined cluster) would just be plug and play then? Or would it still need coding to the car via VCDS? Cam mileages be corrected via VCDS?

Whatever you put in will still need coding to the car, immobiliser & key matching & (like you said) mileage correction too.
It's not plug & play as when you try to start the car the immobiliser will just kick in & prevent it.

Whatever you put in will still need coding to the car, immobiliser & key matching & (like you said) mileage correction too.
It's not plug & play as when you try to start the car the immobiliser will just kick in & prevent it.

Thats what I thought, and that's why I couldn't really be bothered with the hassle, 1 to actually find a colour dis cluster, and 2 to code it all up etc.

I wouldn't have thought vcds can do mileage correction? I'd think the was some more sophisticated software to do that, otherwise everyone would be clocking their mileages :)

Yes, it's not VCDS that does the mileage or immobiliser. I was really lucky to find mine - they person didn't know what they were selling! I also knew someone at the time who did all the coding etc for me... took 20min/£20!

Great mod though.

Am I right in saying that you can't tell if an instrument cluster has colour dis by its part number? So the only way you'd know if it's got a colour dis is by physically seeing it working before hand?

Nice one cheers mate. :) so where would be the place to get vag tacho then? Ross tech? And am I right in saying you need to unlock the SKC from the new instrument cluster in order to re-code it to your car? And if you don't know the SKC of the new cluster then can you retreive it with vag tacho? Also I'm assuming you'd need the SKC of your original cluster to re-code the new one with? (sorry for all the questions but I don't have VCDS or vag tacho as you can probably tell, but it's something I'd like to purchase so just doing some investigation!)