hertz speakers

rsbowling

Reaction score
Hi
Does anyone have any experience with hertz speakers? In particular the dcx165. Im torn between them or some jl audion coaxials. Im going to replace my front speakers for some coaxials, just want a decent reasonable priced set.

Many thanks

Richard

Really good stuff I know a lot of people that use them and seem really happy. I'm a JL fan tbh sold there stuff for years and never had any come backs or people saying they were not impressed.

however getting into a shop for a listen if possible is the best option :)

You really don't want to fit coaxials of any sort, you need 2 way components

I run the hertz all round, great mid range, plenty at the top with no distortion well recommend

Thanks everyone for your replies. I was also thinking of changing the tweeters in the pillar. What size and spec should I be looking at? Also what make is preffered?

Thanks. I have been thinking about an amplifier. I would like to keep the stock headunit, but put an amp in the boot to power all speakers. How easy would it be to wire the front speakers to it? Also could I hide it somewhere, like a stealth install? Also I have noticed the rear subwoofer is a 2x2ohm speaker, would this be able to be wired in as a 4ohm speaker?
Thanks.

Depends how fair you wanna take it :s

You will need some sort of hi to low level converter auto leads and connects2 do cheap ones at around 10 quid which you wanna stay clear of, they also do adjustable ones for around 20 quid which are ok, if you want really good stuff you've got JL clean sweeps / mtx req5 to name a few.

amp wise JL do HD range that's pretty small, Rockford fosgate do a range that's tiny :).

subwoofer wise, 2x2 ( dual 2 ohm ) can be wired to 1ohm or 4ohm ,if it was 4x4 ( dual 4ohm ) you wire it to 2ohm or 8ohm

Thankyou for the advice. What is a hi low convertor? Also how would I wire the fronts to the amp? Would I need to do any work to the headunit? And would the factory sub be ok with more power into it? Many thanks.

Basically takes a signal from your source ( head unit ) which will give you RCA outputs which you can then run to the amp, I would probably look at the connects 2 ctloc20 pretty easy to fit and doesn't cost the earth.

your sub should be fine :) most head units state 50 watts per channel in reality it's giving probably less than 20 watts. 9 times out of ten its user error turning the gains up way into a clipped signal that kills a speaker.

just to give you some idea back in my competition years I was running 2 mmat 15" subs ( 2000 rms each ) and 1 hifonics maximus 10'000 watts rms into there, the subs played daily for month until the car was sold. This was down to the subs getting a clean I clipped signal that was scoped.

Reactions: mister.c.
Thanks for the advice. So am I right in thinking I need to get fresh power for the amp, use existing wiring for the sub and rears, and run those wires from the headunit to pick up the front? What spec amp would be suitable?