cutting foam

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
I need to cut up some foam pads for my boot but want to get a better finish than last time.

Anyone know the best way to cut foam, mainly shapes?

I used a sharp knife last time and it did ok but not as neat as I wanted it to be.

How thick is the foam you are try to cut?

Don't suppose you have access to band saw do you? Get a nice clean cut.
Sharp knife normally works alright. Try spraying knife blade with silicone lubricant that helps lot.

I'm redoing this.

IMAG0366.jpg

Ah yes, the murderer drawer! Gone are the old days of handcuffs and a rag. Scott needs a spanner nowadays.

So are you wanting to cut out the shapes for you tools? I don't think either of the above suggestions will work then :(

Ah yes, the murderer drawer! Gone are the old days of handcuffs and a rag. Scott needs a spanner nowadays.

So are you wanting to cut out the shapes for you tools? I don't think either of the above suggestions will work then :(

I used a scalpel last time and it did ok but went blunt so quickly and ended up hacking it.

Reactions: Mr pee
vertical band saw. if not then clamp/sandwich the foam between two off cuts but not overly tight because you dont want it squashed, just enough to make sure it doesnt move around.. and jig saw it

Ah, As already been said try soldering iron with really thin nib. But that is going to stink don't want to be breathing that in!

Nice new stanley blade mite work just as well.

May sound strange but an electric carving knife works pretty well, at least it did for me!

Use a brand new stanly blade as someone suggested already but keep swapping for a new one first sign of it tearing stanley blades arefairly cheap from Screwfix