Basil's mild improvements thread

Tonight this happened
Before ....

After.....

I've had it ages but as I was cross with basil for nearly doing me in , id forgotten about it !!!
Such a pleasing mod and cheap too , winner winner chicken dinner
I'm getting a WRC mate to flock the old one to see if I prefer that so it MAY all be going back on the bay

Reactions: IPG
Hey basil. Awesome thread! how is the cheapo Vcds cable going?

I need to scan my car (constant esp light on) and thinking just to get one of these instead of forking out the $$$$$ for a proper one all I need is scan /reset. Possible with the knock offs?

It worked well however the windows laptop died and as it was only a spare as I'm a mac user I haven't replaced it !!!
I also have a cheapo code reader which to date has done everything I've needed of it

Reactions: IPG
Day off today so off to the 2 post ramp I have use of and did my tuffty style "painted" sub frame complete with new OE stretch bolts , LCR rack complete with new track rod ends and new OE bolts , new anti roll bar drop links and new anti roll bar bushes , new PAS fluid , a good day :)

In progress

Transformed is an understatement :)
The steerings come alive and no more donks , tight as a drum now

On a side note my mate is 80% through a kit car build of something similar to an ariel atom but with a 2.2 Subaru WRX engine , once it's IVA'd it will be running wmi , anti lag and just a shade over 500 Bhp which in something with a wet kerb weight of 560 kgs should be somewhat of a missile :eek:
Exhaust may need some work though LOL

On rummaging through my garage I've found a massive roll of jute felt soundproofing left over from my old transporter T4 project which is going into basil in the next couple of days along with the coilovers I've just won on the bay

Another day off work so I'm starting the sound proofing
How the rear 1/4's look from factory ( not bad given the age of this , A 1999 ford wouldn't have this much proofing in the whole car )

First layer is closed cell foam

Followed by 10mm thick jute

So at this stage both rear 1/4's are done and cards back on .
Now under the rear seat , how Audi did it

But I've gone 10mm jute topped with closed cell foam

Yet to try it but can't make things worse
Boot space is next but that's for another day .
To be continued .........

This week , this mess is getting sorted !!!

Hi gloss black is the plan with contrasting rings and lettering
All fittings out

Going to strategically leave them near the sink in the hope they get "washed up"
The first coat has been laid , I'll see how it dries before any pics .
While it does I'm going to try and beat the rain to continue with the sound proofing , starting with the boot

Treat the above post as "before"
And this one as during

Pleased with the results , just need to contrast the lettering and rings then lacquer it
Then it's onto the rocker cover and inlet manifold .
The rocker cover will be an eBay one steam cleaned , deburred and painted and I'm currently sourcing a pair of different inlets to have Andrew @ALD make a hybrid one alowing me to better route my planned FMIC install

TBC ....

Reactions: JOSE8LT
Tonight saw me with half hour spare
So I dived under the back and cracked on with the rear coilovers that came used from eBay , my phone was on charge indoors so no Piccys so you'll have to take my word for it !
Weirdly upon removal it appears the offside spring has been replaced with a KYB one probably at MOT time and was 3 inches longer that the OE near side one !!! It never showed up in ride height !!! Weird

I have left my tired old dampers on and not used the ones sent to me as I'm going to buy some adjustable GAZ ones , just waiting on a bud who deals with them a fair bit to pull his finger out and get them picked up (we only live 10 miles from them you see)
The paints in for my engine cover contrast lettering

Watch this space for the end result

[QUOTE="
Weirdly upon removal it appears the offside spring has been replaced with a KYB one probably at MOT time and was 3 inches longer that the OE near side one !!! It never showed up in ride height !!! Weird [/QUOTE]

Wow three inches difference and not noticable

Great thread dude btw, very enjoyable read,

Steve

Why thank you
I still can't figure the spring height differences not showing up !!!
The only answer I can come up with is different spring rates which by coincidence allowed the car to sit level ???
Adjustable shocks are definitely required as I can sense some damping oscillation from the back having now driven it .

Life has just got easier
My boss has been in the process of having a workshop erected for a while now and he even specced a pit for our lowloaders, and it's FINISHED

S3 spoiler has turned up ( another bargain at £20 delivered !) sadly though it's Ming blue and basil isn't !!!
I've cut the OE fitment lugs off and given it a good scotch

De greased with meths and given a light coat of primer which will get a guide coat once dry

BTW engine cover is nearly finished but I'm not showing it until it's done and on

Engine cover complete :)
Can belt cover looks a bit sad now so will whip that off and do that too .
Inlet is also letting to whole look down !! Need to sort my new inlet which is not just a straight swap sadly !!!
AGU runners with a S3 plenum , new injector seats ( which I've just ordered) all mated to a FMIC install so plenty to buy £££££

Reactions: Tj 0785 and IPG
Crumbs there are some people out the that are still efficient !!!

Better get in and order injector seals along with an ultrasonic cleaner and tufftys secret non yellowing lacquer

Today
Spoilers wet flatted , all imperfections are now out

On my way back from work popped into my electronics supplier and picked up a rocker switch for "Mrs mode" switchable N75

Also ordered this

To neaten up my iPod connectivity
Going to hard wire it and mount both this and the N75 switch in the glove box

Reactions: S3AMJ
Today , turned some blue things black and some black things silver :)
Blue

Black

Sadly this does highlight how minging my expansion tank is so at £13 I've ordered a new one :D
Need to try and do something with the washer bottle though ???

SWMBO is working and I'm on nights so seemed rude not to make use of the dishwasher :D pmsl !! ( she'd go mental if she knew )
So in went my spare fuel rail :)

That's come out like new so with the arrival of a new inlet ...

Which I've removed the injector seats from and will be gasket matching all 4 inlet ports and the TB inlet , all after a good wash and coat of paint

Reactions: s3mad_dude and SamHendry
Haha, I love how you just put car parts in the dishwasher! Does it actually work mate?

Treated basil to some new shoes :D
Before

After

I've got a week of nights next week so hopefully get the spoiler and inlet manifold finished and fitted , just got to sort an insulating gasket for the manifold :)

Reactions: superkarl
So , I have a garage :D
Sadly it's FULL of house move stuff so I'm still working outside :(
Light at the end of the tunnel though :D
Update , fed right up of the cheap crashy coilovers I've invested in the front and rear .
Today was rear day :)

Tomorrow is front day :D

Reactions: IPG and jojo
So as mentioned , today is time to refresh the front end
New track rod ends .

New bottom ball joints . ( old ones weren't old but needed doing as had play !!!!)

Oh dear !!!!!

Lucky the parts factor van hadn't left the depot for our workshop delivery , so added this to the order

Out with the old

In with the new

Oh top mounts and bearings too

Although to be honest there was nothing wrong with what came off !!
The shocks however were completely knackered
Annoyingly the thread in the near side wishbone for the drop links is stripped so new wishbones next !!!!

Reactions: StaceyS3
Back in June !!!!!!
How time flys !
I won a complete S3 312mm front brake setup on the bay :D
They were however Gary red so didn't fit them until they were far more OE
In the move is lost them until today that is .
Due to not needing much room it has also become the first job I've done in my new garage :D :D :D

Finished pic to follow :)

Reactions: CarbonMike
can I ask what you N75 switch was for simply disconnecting the power to run on basic pressure? rather than mapped?