ARB question for Glen

Ryanc

Reaction score
Seen a ARB set for the s3/tt with 25mm front and 21mm rear it's the same mm thicker than standard but probably too stiff for road use?thoughts?

What are standard?
Please remind me?

I Think they are 19mm F and 15mm R...so 25mm F and 21mm R would, in my view, prevent the chassis rolling but be far too stiff at the front and it wouyld still understeer badly.

I would still try to keep the rear proportionally larger than the front, to kill some of the understeer.

You could probably dial some of the understeer associated with too stiff a front ARB (ie a 25mm bar) by setting the geometry up very aggressively...but you'll struggle to get enough negative camber without serious re-engineering as there just isn't a way of doing it easily on an S3.

so I guess basically...25/21 would make for a chassis with very little roll....but no less understeer than standard...not really the best you can do.

But, as always...having never tried it and had the chance to optimise it...it's hard to say for definate.

Thought that might be the case glen,thanks for your comments.
The kit in question is the h&r anti roll bar kit for the s3.
Hope the Porsche is going well mate.

[ QUOTE ]
Thought that might be the case glen,thanks for your comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

My pleasure...it's difficult to say for sure...because I've never tried the set up you suggested, but experience would suggest it's a bit stiff at the front for an S3.

[ QUOTE ]

The kit in question is the h&r anti roll bar kit for the s3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, OK.

My experience of 4wd cars is that I tend to set them up slightly softer than FWD as I feel you need the compliance to allow the 4WD to work...the 22/19 set works well as it still allows the front to give slightly and keep the wheels driven, whilst progressively offering a stiffer rear....and this set up is totally drivable even with stiff springs and dampers, on very bumpy back roads - as well as being a great track set up.

[ QUOTE ]

Hope the Porsche is going well mate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure is thanks...nearly a year old now, so in for a service tomorrow. Going well though...