What to do....s3 or darkside developments

stiff

hear the whistle see the smoke
Reaction score
Maybe you lot can help me for the s3 owners i no what your gonna say but in general.... do i sell up my beloved stage 2 diesel that ive put work into and finally get the s3 or do i continue on and turn my car to the dark side (darkside developments) and push to have a one off a3 diesel?? my mates just got the edition 30 and seriously rubbing the bhp in :motz:

regards in your kind words :beerchug:

sorry for not giving the beloved introduction, hi all!!!

been a member on her a while this sites always very helpfull and informative hoping that you lot could maybe be informative once again :cool:

sorry for not giving the beloved introduction, hi all!!!

been a member on her a while this sites always very helpfull and informative hoping that you lot could maybe be informative once again :cool:

Hi there...welcome to this part of the site.

It depends very much on what you want.....monster torque at low revs,or torque and power at high revs.

Don't be put off by your mate and the top end bhp,as you may well be quicker in the midrange,but if you have deep enough pockets,the S3 will always offer more potential.

In my eyes BHP is just a pub ammo figure,satans fuel was meant to be the future,devon mikeyboy has done a lot with his but it'd be interesting to see what Darkside can do as they are no mugs for sure.

Reactions: TDI140
No matter how fast and economical a diesel can be, each time i see an S3 i just cant help but admire and want

No matter how much i tune my tdi i still want an s3 :-/

see this is it am not really looking to change my car just to beat him its just intrigued me on his so called power figures and the ****** things like its on rails , i've finally come of age were insurance is not really a problem anymore and works not to bad so my options are there to either renew my insurance end of the month and go for a one off diesel and embrace the darkside or upgrade..

no this might sound daft :uhm: but is the maintenance costs of running a s3 high in comparison to my diesel?? tires/servicing/parts??

someone mentiond to me that the tax for the s3 is 300 a year is this right?:huh: bit of a change from my £142 for 12 months :lmfao:

As far as i know for the 2.0tfsi engines the 8p3 S3 ones ARE £260 for tax

Me personally I love my diesels and their raw low end power, but boy are petrols so fun to drive especially that golf R.

You have to think like this, your going to spend that much on an S3 to shut your mate. Then thats just stupid.

But if its to fulfil your desire then its worth it.

I've just gone from a fabia vrs that was hiding a pd150 hybrid turbo to an s3 and although I miss the belch of soot and the amazed looks off people that were shocked to have been flow past by a skoda lol and also the amazing amount of torque she was pushing I don't miss it at all compared to the s3 and that's only after having it 2 days :)

see this is it am not really looking to change my car just to beat him its just intrigued me on his so called power figures and the ****** things like its on rails , i've finally come of age were insurance is not really a problem anymore and works not to bad so my options are there to either renew my insurance end of the month and go for a one off diesel and embrace the darkside or upgrade..

no this might sound daft :uhm: but is the maintenance costs of running a s3 high in comparison to my diesel?? tires/servicing/parts??

someone mentiond to me that the tax for the s3 is 300 a year is this right?:huh: bit of a change from my £142 for 12 months :lmfao:

The handling advantage may well be down to the Haldex on the S3,allowing it to put the power down more effectively,and understeer a bit less,esp if yours is FWD.

Servicing the S3 isn't really much more costly than yours,but tuning it to the same level will certainly cost.

I'm running 213 bhp and doing 45 mpg 90% town driving in my old smoker

have been there before. S3 all day long. Power delivery, sound, quattro, tuning potential, looks. No matter what you do and how much mpgs you make in a diesel you miss out so much and if your annual milage is 10-15k savings are 400-600 quid. Answer is clear

''Me personally I love my diesels and their raw low end power, but boy are petrols so fun to drive especially that golf R.

You have to think like this, your going to spend that much on an S3 to shut your mate. Then thats just stupid.

But if its to fulfil your desire then its worth it.''

That's exactly it im not thinking of doing this to shut my mate up its just opened my eyes to what i could potentially have :uhm:

Im thinking more like it would be nice to have power of what ive got and more but having s3 power figures in a diesel is it worth it?? or do i just put the extra 5k to and be happy with it?

if it helps i do under 10k a year mileage,odd motorway every now and again don't mind the odd overtake in safe conditions, had a slight promotion and with him getting his new golf its put me in two minds on my own car. if maintenance isnt much difference and main costs would only be what level i wanted to put it too then it doesn't sound to bad of a idea upgrading.

looks like im going to haft to go book a test drive see if im really missing just as much as the replies are saying.

saying all this ive never drove a petrol turbo :shrug: lool

Same for me i get roughly 50mpg around town but goes to 40mpg if i get to happy and 60mpg on the odd motorway run :rockwoot:

I would do anything for an S3 sportback but, Darkside developments had my 2.0tdi sportback in last year to fit a replacement engine after the turbo actually snapped in half and went through the engine. They fit an engine out of a written of A3, one of their hybrid turbos, flywheel, clutch etc and for the last 20,000 miles its been seriously fun down here in the southern alps. I have been considering upgrading to an A4 but I've decided theres no point starting from scratch again, modding another car so I'm off back to see Scott and Ryan towards the end of this year, to see what the front wheels can handle!

STAY DARK

How would you describe darkside's map as Im contemplating to whether I should take my A4 over to them. Problem is im all the way down in London and dont want them to tell me they cant map mines because something wrong.

When they fitted the engine and turbo etc, they took it out on the road and used their laptop an custom mapped it on the move. I didn't want maximum power out of it as I do quite a few motorway miles so want it to last and still be economical. They did just that. I believe they have a Dyno now.

thought id give this a update!!

Went for a test drive in a s3 :eyebrows: woooooowww very nice and alot sportier ride than the diesels and nice power to suit!! only different with power would be having to rev them up higher id say,

so had a think about it and thought ****** it lets try a big turbo for the diesel,
Needless to say i managed to find a gtb1756vk off the audi 2.7 tdi, ive alredi got a custom braided feed line and return also custom ic piping so next thing was trying to find a suitable manifold :think: decat to suit turbo :think: then the obvious software upgrade.. as commented i got in touch with darkside....

this is now were im peed off....

i alredi have nearly everything bar the decat cast mani (as i refuse to pay a grand for darkside's custom one) and the obvious software upgrade.

darksides quote for cast mani adapted, decat and software 1190+vat :wtf:i might aswell take it to audi to be done!

now before i give this up and just go s3 does anybody on here happen to know were theres a good place that adapts or makes manifolds at a normal rate?? with a custom decat and could maybe do maps for under a grand??

as i see it thinking for like 300-manifold-150 decat-350 to 400 for software. on top of this if the companys wants more work i will be wanting my clutch changed and uprated as well.

am not as much complaining because i know darkside are good but the price seems to high when replying saying this to see if there would be a negotiation i was ignored :( sorry darkside!! :uhm:

Unless your car is Quattro I really don't see the point. Your gonna be sat there on the spot in lots of tyre smoke. Why not have something that's designed to be fast and "improve" it such as the S3.

i just got a s3 loved it until it blew up but thats a different story :laugh:

i had a tdi bora before this with a custom built stage 3 hybrid turbo which is similar to darksides 2260 kits power wise and it was nuts round town and did pull well but its all the gear changes and the fact it spins it wheels up in 3rd gear if the ground is just a touch damp ! i would remap a s3 and you will be more than happy !

but thats just my 2 cents ! you can spend big money on tdi's to ge big power but you can push 400hp on an unopened engine which is impressive! but will cost you the earth

i am on the verge of going s3 route, only reaon ive thought of this is i like to be different.. with regards to wheel spin it can minimised

by driver and correct supporting mods to go with the power upgrade, dont get me wrong wish it was a quattro but at time of buying i

was just happy to have an a3 now times passed i can afford to be more individual with what i choose to do to the car. Im going to

search further and if nothing comes up then il be simple and go to audi once again.