Audi C5 a6 Allroad convenience module - a confusing problem.

Dane

Had an 8L S3, a B5 RS4 now I have a B8 S4
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'll try and write this as clearly as I can to avoid confusion.

When I got the allroad the central locking 'stopped working the day before' (yeah right), when indicating the indicators were flashing very irregularly, it randomly thought different doors were open, the electric windows wouldnt work and the alarm would keep going off.

I thought the indicator issue might be related to the hazard relay so swapped that out, didn't change a thing.

Read through the internet and lifted the carpet on the passenger footwell found a puddle of water, I fished the convenience module out and tried to dry it out.

Unfortunately the damage was too great, so I sourced a replacement from a local scrappy from a R reg A6, the letter on the end of the part number was the only difference and it looked 100x better with only one feed from the plug to the board showing signs of a little corrosion.

Having dried out the passenger footwell I swapped them over and quite a few of the issues were sorted, indicators were fine windows went up and down, I stopped getting information in the upper part of the DIS (about doors open and radio station info for instance) the alarm stopped going off.

But now neither keys operate the alarm or central locking, either remotely or with the key in the drivers door (the battery was disconnected a few times to turn the alarm off and has since been replaced for a brand new unit). I cannot perform the resyncing with one key in the ignition and one in the door I've tried 3 or 4 different ways of doing this.

Also upon plugging it in to Vagcom to code the new module two different versions of Vagcom cannot communicate with the module to do this. I must stress the replacement is in a lot better condition than the flooded one but even the flooded one will talk to vagcom.

The central locking does work with either key in the boot but the door buttons do not neither does using the key to operate the central locking, the key will unlock the door but only the drivers door.

SO:
Is my replacement C.M. from too old of an a6, pre canbus perhaps? would this be why I cant communicate with it?
Could there be damage further down the line to the cars wiring?
Can anyone shed any light on why the central locking would work with the key in the boot but not with the internal drivers door button?

Its not a massive problem but I'd like to get it sorted. But I cant afford to go wasting money on a brand spanking C.M unit if thats not going to solve the problem.

Cheers!

Need the old & new module part numbers 1st.

Yes, you need the same letter on the end of the ccm part number...

Original allroad c.m. Part number 4B0 962 258 H
replacement c.m. Part number 4B0 962 258 B

get the correct part number. There's a few on Ebay. That way your original remotes can be easily programmed into it. 2001-02 remotes have different part numbers to 2003-5 remotes & aren't cross compatible. Although some of the older part number remotes were used on some 2003 models but they will also have had the older CCM to match

Dane when my etka has finished updating, I'll plum them in & have a route about to check something's as the B is a fair way back from an H tbh, leave that with me for now.

Can you open your key & what frequency does it show behind the blade.

The H has now gone to a K, B was used on a previous chassis range, but shows as a 5D1 pr code which is 433 frequency which is usually the UK, but I know from my experience even same frequency/style keys haven't worked with eachother eg. B7/8P, so it may need be this, but lets see if we can work out anything else.

Got to jump on a flight later, if not replied later then will try when arriving at destination.

Will do mate, I finish work in a jiffy so ill do it when I'm home

An update,

Bought a new comfort control module part number: 4B0 962 258 K £237 inc vat from my local TPS

To switch the comfort control module over is pretty simple and can be done with no tools, if your replacing a water damaged CCM you could need:

a small flat head screwdriver
a hair dryer
some towels
and some kitchen towel.

The short of it is
Lift the passenger carpet
remove the 'waterproof' plastic case
open it up swap the CCM's over and put it back.

The long of it is:
1. Open passenger door and slide passenger seat all the way back.
2. Remove passenger carpet mat,
3. Remove interior plastic trim along passenger side, (not the trim that says allroad but the trim that is on the inside of the car).
I can remove this with just my hands, just pull it up with a bit of force and the clips should pop out.
Watch out for these clips making a bid for freedom.
This trim runs the length of the passenger side cabin and it make life easier if you just unpop in from the rear of the car too and just lay it on the rear bench for now.
4. Lift the carpet up. you may want to remove the left hand side passenger foot well plastic trim but I managed without.
5. You should see the plastic case the module lives in, no way you can miss it, it is clipped in so try and move it forward and back to release it.
6. Move the plastic case out from the carpet so you can work on it.
7. If you have any water in the passenger footwell now is a good time to dry this area out, I did this with towels and a hair dryer and took about an hour to get to a good stage.
8. Pop open the plastic case to reveal the comfort control module.
9. Take the module out of the plastic case and unclip the connectors.
10. If your old comfort module is water damaged it's probably a good idea to clean up the connector contacts at this stage.
I used contact cleaner spray on liberally and then I tapped the connectors quite hard on the sill to remove debris.
Then used a thin flat head screwdriver with some kitchen towel to get into the tight areas.
11. Connect the new CCM and place it in its plastic box all the connectors are different sizes so you cant mix them up, making sure the water seals on the box are located as best as possible and close it up.
12. Lift the carpet and slot the plastic case home in the same way you removed it.
13. Put the carpet back (and if you removed the passenger footwell plastic reattach this now).
14. Replace the interior plastic trim, start at the back and make sure it goes behind the front passenger seat belt, not in front.
To do this line the clips up with the holes in the metal body of the car and push down until it clicks, a bit of force can be required to get these to click home.

I then had to reassign my key fobs,
I couldn't get any of the one key in the ignition one in the door way methods to work so I had to use vagcom.
I followed these instructions
Audi A6 (4B) Central Locking - Ross-Tech Wiki which I had to adapt slightly to get mine to work.

Note 1: I had to reset all key memory, instructions to do this are at the bottom of the above link (the part about channel 00), I then followed the instructions at the top of the page.

Note 2: I had to do this a few times until I figured out I could only do one key at a time. once you've followed the procedure once, click 'done go back' in vagcom take whatever key is in the ignition out, get out the car and lock the door with whatever key you were trying to program by turning it in the lock, take the key out of the lock and test the buttons - This is where mine started working and I jumped around like a numpty.

Note 3: contrary to the ross-tech instructions I did not get any lights flashing or horn sounding at all during the programming process.

Reactions: Arrkon