A6 Steering Clunk When Turning

watsonk

Reaction score
I have a problem with the steering of my A6 (2.7T Quattro 2000w) which is especially noticeable just after starting when cold. Just after starting and moving away if I turn sharply such as moving out of a parking bay in either forward or reverse I get a clunk or crunching sound. It’s as if one the front wheels isn’t going round in sync with the other wheel and so slipping instead of turning. This has never happened before in the two years of owning the car and only started in the last few weeks. I have taken the car to a dealer and they claim that it’s normal for quattro’s to do this. Once warmed up I don’t get the problem.

Had same with mine, turns out if u watch the alloy wheel with the rubber tyre, u see the rubber wanting to grip the surface yet the wheel wants to turn, therefore making a weird jerking whilst turnin, but like u say when warm never happens, think mine is a case off lesser pressure than normal IE 28psi as apposed to 32psi with directional f1's with cold rubber... anyone else had this too???

I have got eagle f1's fitted. Interesting you mention tyre pressure though. Not that long ago I raised my tyre pressure on the front tyres as I was having problems where the tyre walls were wearing. Also under very heavy braking the front would weave from left to right which I put down do there not been enough air in the front tyres so under extreme weight they'd start to give in. I also assumed that since the front left tyre had the most tyre wall wear it was because of cornering fast on roundabouts. After increasing the front tyre presure the tyre wall wear problem has gone but I have lots of understeer. I sometimes regret getting 18" rs4 replicas now as I had no problems with the original 16" sport wheels.

I get the same with my A4 TDI ------- on GY F1 GSD3, 205/55 ZR16. The in and out side have worn a lot more than I anticipated and I get the clunking on full lock too, sounds like the tyre is rubbing against the tyre well.

I find the car looses traction under the slightest provocation.

I have been suspecting the CV joints, but never the tyres. I'll need to watch the wheels on full lock to verify.

If that is the case, then I'll get new tyres instead of having the garage try and diagnose non-existent problems ...

Any ideas on alternatives to GY F1 GSD3 ??

well car was on the ramps, my local friendly spanner man took a look:

1) bushes ok
2) drive shaft ok
3) cv joints ok

saw the problem - it's the front tyres not having full grip and distorting at full lock. sounds weird to me, but is consistent with what you guys are experiencing.

Conditions
Cold -5 to 5 degrees
FL tyre to nearly to TWI @ 15000

I'm not too oncerned, as they are worn out and I have another set of tyres on the way on 17" rims now ;-)