NEWS FLASH ,NEW S3 260BHP

I posted it on tyresmoke and I've also posted it in the other A3 forum i.e. the one which shares the platform with the S3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have used a german dictionary to sort most of it out

Nothing too surprising - similar to old S3 spec

All we need to know now is when, how much and most importantly how many exhausts

Won't be buying one jojo,i'll wait a few years.Not finished the one i have.

Press car might have a few tweeks especially if autocar get there hands on it!

Lets hope that IF it ever arrives, the people who did good work on the new RS4, have been involved.

That way it may actually be rewarding to drive...as opposed to a typically well built but dull-as-dishwater Audi that lacks feedback, understeers everywhere and generally bores you...

You can keep the spiralling power figures for me...sort the damn chassis out (and brakes) and allow the driver to use the power they do provide...

Let's hope...eh?

Same chassis as golf gti and r32 so i can't see it being anything but good.
Enough to tempt you back glenn?

Nice, passed my test in time for me to be able to afford one by the time my insurance has come down!

It's good to see the 2.0TFSI there (IMHO (I don't want to start a NA vs. FI fight again!)); that's what I was hoping for. Before we'd seen this I'd decided that if the new S3 was going to be Large-NA powered I'd probably choose a 2.0TFSI 3-door over it (and obviously go and see what AMD or Revo could do with it).

Can't wait to see one in the flesh now... Or better yet, I suppose I can test-drive one now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

Regards,

Rob.

[ QUOTE ]
Same chassis as golf gti and r32 so i can't see it being anything but good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say that was a certainty...

The A3 isn't half the drive the new Golf GTI is...
The S3 wasn't a patch on the old R32...

Just because they are the same platform, it doesn't mean that the new S3 and R32 will be even close in dynamics...but, since the GTI and R32 are so good...it does offer hope.

I really hopw so...
I* loved the way my S3 ended up...such a pity it took 3 years to get it there!

[ QUOTE ]

Enough to tempt you back glenn?

[/ QUOTE ]

In a round about way...yes.
Not for me...i'll never get rid of my GTI...and nobody in sound mind would change a 911 for an S3...

I'm not going to get rid of the 911...

So I guess Helen might fancy the new S3...that would be an ideal solution...

They're not the same platform. i.e. the old Golf and the TT were only 20% similar. Popular comment is the TT is a Golf in a party frock but it was far from that.

The platforms are very flexible and variable. So far it's used for the Golf, A3 and even the Passat which is much bigger.

Just because it's the same basic platform doesn't necessarily mean it will be the same or handle the same.

s3 wasn't a patch on the r32!!
Your having whats on my avatar.
my brothers got one and its just a overweight car with a big engine to try and recompense,they did it with the mk3 as well putting a v6 in it.

Thought the new s3 was offering more brake than that

Hear you points about the chassis guys,one thing i noticed at the rr meet was that the s3 has alot shorter wheelbase than the cupra r which i thought shared a similar chassis.
a2 for s3 then glenn something tells me that might happen.

[ QUOTE ]
one thing i noticed at the rr meet was that the s3 has alot shorter wheelbase than the cupra r which i thought shared a similar chassis.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the key thing. It's a platform not a chassis. i.e. it is variable.

[ QUOTE ]
They're not the same platform.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they are.
They are the VAG A4 platform (not to be confused with the audi designation)
Platform meaning the main structural components, engine mounts, suspension pick up points are all in a pre-determined place within a set of selectable positions...FWD, 4WD etc...

The platform is not the same as floorpan, or chassis.

The platform can produce cars that vary in size (TT ro Octavia for example) but the key mechanical positions, crash zones and certain wiring looms remain constant.

That's what I mean by platform.
The new S3 will be on the same platform as the new Golf GTI and R32.

[ QUOTE ]

i.e. the old Golf and the TT were only 20% similar. Popular comment is the TT is a Golf in a party frock but it was far from that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that....as do you...
but there are similarities...like the inherent safety of understeer designed into the platform that all models suffer from.
The 20% you speak of is the common platform items...wiring, basic crash structures, suspension placement (front...or both of 4 motion vs quattro), electronic control modules etc...

[ QUOTE ]

The platforms are very flexible and variable. So far it's used for the Golf, A3 and even the Passat which is much bigger.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed they are...
But i'm not sure the Passat is the same platform. You sure?
I thought it was common to the A6 and new A4.

I can't see how the VAG A4 platform can run a longnitudinal engine in a transverse platform configuration. May be wrong though...

[ QUOTE ]

Just because it's the same basic platform doesn't necessarily mean it will be the same or handle the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

True...but it's no way of saying it will be much better either.

If the new S3 is anywhere near as good as the GTI golf or R32, it'll be good...
But Audi haven't traditionally made their models out handle the VW variant...the RS4 breaks the mould...I hope the S3 follows.

[ QUOTE ]
s3 wasn't a patch on the r32!!
Your having whats on my avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]

The S3 wasn't even playing the same game as the R32...the R32 was fantastic to drive...compared to the S3.

Am I to take it from your incoherant babble, that you don't agree?

If so, you must be devoid of all driving ability and feeling in your body, as anyone with a hole in their a55 will tell you that the R32 was WAY ahead of the S3 in driving dynamics...

Why the hell do you think S3 drivers fit R32 parts to their cars?
To downgrade them?
Don't be stupid...the R32 was a proper effort by VW...not perfect as it still has that heavy (although not that much heavier than a fully dressed 1.8T) engine sitting high up and forward of the front driveline...but a fer better effort than the numb, understeering, lacklustre effort Audi passed off as theit flagship A3...the S3.

The S3 can be improved...in many cases by fitting R32 stuff!...but you are still playing catch-up...the R32 is so far ahead it's scarcely believable that Audi got the S3 so wrong as standard.

You are the first person I've come accross who has actually driven an R32, that doesn't see and feel the difference over an S3. Well done...

[ QUOTE ]

my brothers got one and its just a overweight car with a big engine to try and recompense,

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'd check for a pulse...or a driving license...as either you or your brother must be clinically dead or can't drive for toffee if you can't acknowledge that an R32 is in a different league to a standard S3.

The engine is also a real cracker...an engineering masterpiece...pulls well, sounds great, instant response....the two latter things that awful droning 'Dyson' sounding 1.8T can't even get close to...

Pity the R32 looked a littlle too 'Max Power' for my taste...and had really bad seats that sat too high...otherwise I'd probably have chopped the S3 in for one a long time ago.

[ QUOTE ]

they did it with the mk3 as well putting a v6 in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that example...the 16v GTI was the drivers choice...the VR6 was even softer than the GTIs, even longer geared...a cruiser rather than an attempt at a drivers car.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They're not the same platform.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes they are.

[/ QUOTE ]
My mistake. I shouldn't have used "platform".

[ QUOTE ]
The new S3 will be on the same platform as the new Golf GTI and R32.

[/ QUOTE ]Agreed but it doesn't mean to say it's indentical under the skin.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Indeed they are...
But i'm not sure the Passat is the same platform. You sure?
I thought it was common to the A6 and new A4.

I can't see how the VAG A4 platform can run a longnitudinal engine in a transverse platform configuration. May be wrong though...

[/ QUOTE ]The old passat shared the platform with the A4. The new one shares it with the A3/Golf etc. It's transversly engined.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True...but it's no way of saying it will be much better either.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't. It may be or not. Time will tell but I expect it to be better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Agreed but it doesn't mean to say it's indentical under the skin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely...although to be honest, it wouldn't be a bad starting point in the case of the R32!
That chassis but with less weight up high and forward of the axle line...would make for an even better handling starting point.

I really hope Audi nail the handling this time around...the Golf is good...hopefully the S3 will be.

The RS4 is by all accounts brilliant...please let the new S3 benefit from the chassis dynamics of the RS4...

[ QUOTE ]

The old passat shared the platform with the A4. The new one shares it with the A3/Golf etc. It's transversly engined.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh dear. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif

A friend of mine has a new Passat...and despite commenting that there were so many plastic covers under the bonnet it was hard to see the engine...I never actually noticed that the engine sat accross the car!
Oops...
You learn something new everyday...
I'll hang my head in shame /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif

I did notice that it doesn't have a handbrake though...

[ QUOTE ]

I didn't. It may be or not. Time will tell but I expect it to be better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure...
The S models have always been a mix of comfort, trim level and performance...whereas the RS (in the case of the new RS4) a purer driving machine.

I really hope Audi place the new S3 against the competition as opposed to staying with the S ethos of old.

It needs to be R32 good...Astra VXR and Focus ST good...whilst still being better built, better appointed and more subtle...
It can be done...and what a car it would be if it were done...

Let's hope...

Totally agree. I think the fact that Audi aren ow moving power to the rear proves they are now looking at this.

In fact about 18 months ago an Audi product manager in Milton Keyes HQ told me that Audi has focused so much on "advancement through technology" that they'd overlooked driver involvement somewhat. He told me then this was set to change and I think we are now seeing that come through.

Let's hope indeed.

As it's only 10PS more powerful than the 3.2, I think they will have to loose some weight or something as well, and the pricing is going to be tricky, a 3.2Q S-Line is already £28k or there abouts from memory. I think they must be focusing on the driver involvment stuff if the info above is correct!

I think there is no way the difference will be as great as it was between the 1.8t quattro and S3 before... I wait to be impressed though!

Hey guys,

Well if you look at how well the R32 did round top gears track (Actually quicker than the new S4) I think it's safe to assume the S3 will be lighter, more power with a similar suspension/haldex setup - all in all should be a cracking car.

If they can get 275BHP from the 200BHP GTI motor with a chip/zorst - imagine the new S3 - 330+ with NEW R32 Handling??? NICE!

330 no chance.I reckon 300bhp with a remap top figure.
Or are we talking AMD figures?

one out of three isn't bad,thank you ess

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you suggesting that AMD inflate their BHP figures?

Reason I ask is that I was talking to someone recently about my 261BHP and they said "yeah right - put it on an accurate rolling road, would be more like 250 max".

Although I have a print out from AMD "proving" 261BHP do you think their figures might be "massaged"?

If it drives ok then don't worry about figures.

[ QUOTE ]
If it drives ok then don't worry about figures.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not worried, just curious about your comment.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Over 300 though surely - if they can get upto 70 more out of the standard motor.

Does anyone know if the 2.0TFSI motor uses a K03? Can only assume the differences will be similar to the 150/225 motors - so almost certainly over 300.

Anyway... even 300 with the new r32 handling it will be a BRILLIANT drive!

A realistic figure for a s3 remap is 260 top whack. They claimed lower bhp for the 210's because of the 225 tt,so i figure +35bhp for a remap
256+35=291bhp.

As for AMD i wouldn't like to say but the only FACT i can tell you is that i made 244bhp on a very accurate dyno and 267bhp on amd's in the matter of a week.

I'd love to have another go on there rollers now but they no longer do RR days.

[ QUOTE ]

Are you suggesting that AMD inflate their BHP figures?

Reason I ask is that I was talking to someone recently about my 261BHP and they said "yeah right - put it on an accurate rolling road, would be more like 250 max".

Although I have a print out from AMD "proving" 261BHP do you think their figures might be "massaged"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's just say that I've never seen an AmD chipped car make the same numbers as AmDs print outs show, on any other rolling road that's accepted as being accurate...and that includes several of my cars.

In saying that...I'm not unhappy with the work AmD have done...just doubtful of the power figures afterwards...the cars always drive better...just doubtful of the real power uotputs.

[ QUOTE ]
A realistic figure for a s3 remap is 260 top whack. They claimed lower bhp for the 210's because of the 225 tt,so i figure +35bhp for a remap
256+35=291bhp.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was basing my estimate on the GTI motor being upped from 200BHP to a claimed 270 odd... so call it a gain of 70BHP - that on top of 260 brings us over 300 - anyway... I was just saying it would be nice if...

Is it not the same engine as the current 2.0T albeit with a modified turbo. Surely its been pushed pretty far already then if the current remaps are getting to this level. I would have thought that further improvements would be a lot less than those seen currently with the remaps. Maybe 30bhp tops which would be 290bhp.

Ach, its all heresay till we see it in the flesh.

well going by the changes made to the engine for the previous S3 over the 1.8t, i'd say it should be up for a good re-map, but who knows. lots of the block was redesigned for the S3 acording to a tech article I read ages ago, larger oil ducts better cooling etc, as well as a new turbo better intercoolers etc. so I think there is no point in speculation... as fun as it is, I do think I may have to arrange a test drive as soon as they come out though.

Who does the upgrade from 200 to 270 with a remap?

revo quote 260 and 300lb/t,very good if true.