HELP - changing rear bulb!!

Mikebabs1

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to replace a faulty brake light (right hand side) on my 2001 saloon. I've looked at the posts on here on how to do this but still can't manage it.

I know you have to pop out the disc of "carpet" next to the cluster and unscrew something, at which point the cluster should be able to be pulled out, and apparently hinges on the door (curved) side.

Underneath the disc of carpet which pops out there is a small metal phillips (crosshead) screw within a big plastic nut thing (see link below for pic). Is it the metal screw which you need to loosen or the big plastic "nut". I've tried loosening the screw but the light cluster will not budge and I don't want to risk breaking it. Do you need to detach the black plastic covering on the side (boot side) of the cluster, or does this come off with it?

Also underneath the carpet where the screw is, there's a red plastic clip thing attached to a long plastic wire, I've no idea what this is for - it only appears on the right cluster, not the left.

Pic here

Any help appreciated, it's driving me mad!!!

Many thanks.

Mike

I just undid the screw i.e. the metal cross head one. The red plastic loop is the emergency fuel flap release.

Thanks Scotty - I wonder if I'm being too cautious and it just needs a good yank, or whether it's different on the model I have.

Mike

I had quite a bit of trouble releasing mine, IIRC you have to unscrew the crosshead for quite a while and prise the cluster away while you do it. The screw doesn't fall out as it's locked to the bodywork.

Thanks Andy. It turns out I needed to completely remove the screw before the cluster would come away. Once the screw was out, it came away no problem. There was nothing locking the screw to the bodywork - it seems it's a different set-up on different cars!

Mike

I had to do the same with mine. Trouble is I ended up unscrewing the screw out completely. Upon putting it back together the washer part fell off into the rear undertray.. nice. Had to undo 4 hex bolts to get to it. What was a 10 min job turned out to be 30 mins!!

My G*d how crap is this.......my DIS reported Left Hand Brake Light Bulb faulty.....so I have a quick look in the back of my 2003 Audi Avant 2.5 TDi Quattro Sport "Owners Manual"

The very useful Audi Owners Manual (which for a laugh incidently informs me not to drive the car "off Road" in the Quattro bit)......tells me that I have to get the "bulb changed by a qualified mechanic" ....

I appreciate the fact that the Xenon bulbs could be dangerous......but a rear brake light bulb - words completely fail me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......Audi - what a bunch of "interesting People" (he says very politely !

JohnboyC said:
My G*d how crap is this.......my DIS reported Left Hand Brake Light Bulb faulty.....so I have a quick look in the back of my 2003 Audi Avant 2.5 TDi Quattro Sport "Owners Manual"

The very useful Audi Owners Manual (which for a laugh incidently informs me not to drive the car "off Road" in the Quattro bit)......tells me that I have to get the "bulb changed by a qualified mechanic" ....

I appreciate the fact that the Xenon bulbs could be dangerous......but a rear brake light bulb - words completely fail me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......Audi - what a bunch of "interesting People" (he says very politely !

Haha made me laugh too, word of warning though if you drop the screw inbetween the trim and the body, it's there for good ! I put a strong magnet on my screwdriver to undo it.

OK....I popped off the little round cover inside the boot, halfway up the light.....inside was an allen screw.....I loosened this screw but did not remove entirely (as detailed on other posts) for fear of dropping the screw behind the boot interior cover...the light assemby loosened slightly but I could I get the light assembly off.....and I am certainly not going to force it.........

Sorry but this is a completely sh*t design......shall I claim on my warranty to change a brake light bulb ? ho bl**dy ho !
In nearly 30 years of car ownership...here is me, for the very 1st time, not being able to change a poxy bulb.......rant rave whinge moan !

OK..done it......not the best bulb change I have done......still a nasty design in my opinion

lol. It's not exactly a 5 minute job is it ?

No, the most worrying bit is thinking that the screw you are undoing will disappear into the depths of the car never to be found again, leaving you witha rear light cluster flapping around leaving the car completely immobile !

Sorted anyways.....I know for next time.......

I fashioned a pry bar out of a steel ruler wrapped in gaffer tape which makes it really easy to pry out the rear light cluster from the bodywork without scratching anything. Funnily enough my DIS has reported another rear brake light out, that's the 3rd one in 6 months, so I'm getting quite good at it now.