Aaargh, Damaged my car!!

elucidate

Reaction score
Today I parked on a high kerb, and reversed off.

The whole bottom plastic 'cowling' from underneath the engine bay was ripped off. On the passenger side it protects the gearbox, and on the drivers side, the bottom of the intercooler.

So, I need a new one.

Anyone know if this is a REALLY important part and I'll damage my car without it??

Whilst inspecting the car, I jacked it up and there was a massive creak, and pretty much, no matter how high I jacked the car, the passenger side wheel remained on the ground.

The car drives OK though.

So, as I see it, now is the opportune time to buy new springs/dampers also, as it looks as if one isn't very happy.

Any ideas on the plastic gubbins??

Ta

Dave

jesus, how far on the kerb did you park? ive gone that little bit too far forward before to experience that gut wrenching noise it make when you reverse off... but it didn't take the undertray with it..

Not very far at all, but I reversed off, which must have caused the issue. Whether the whole lot came off at that time I do not know, as I had got 500m before the noise started!

Sorry to hear about your mishap fella...

I guess it might be worth taking it somewhere to have a closer look at that suspension, I'd not be able to relax knowing it's not quite 100%. When you say you heard a creak from the car as you jacked it up, where did it come from? Inside the wheel-arch? (Also, sorry for asking a daft question, but you're certain it wasn't just a groan from somewhere along the chain of components responsible for your handbrake? If my car's jacked-up when the handbrake is on more than one click there are noises coming from all over the place - proper sounds of hell!)

Is this any use in sourcing a replacement bit?

(Click for big pic)

Regards,

Rob.

You won't damage the car running it without the plastic covers. The worst thing that will happen is things will get dirtier quicker. Also it helps as a sound deadener.

As for the creaking noise, this will be your rear brakes moving on the discs a bit as you jack it up. This is normal when jacking from one corner.

Rob - MANY thanks for the ETKA print, I was looking all over in EKTA for that!!

It's actually taken off the side panels that attach under the wheel arches as well as the skid plate!

The creak definately came from the top of the wheel arch, and as said, no matter how high I jacked the car, the wheel just wouldn't rise.

****** cars, I didn't buy a car, I bought a bottomless money pit.

[ QUOTE ]

The creak definately came from the top of the wheel arch, and as said, no matter how high I jacked the car, the wheel just wouldn't rise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't keep driving if this is the case as it points to something pretty serious being broken! My S3 creakes all over the place if you jack it up at one corner so the creaking is no worry but the suspension dropping so much you can't get the wheel off the ground is a worry!

Sometimes shocks can crease also when they've not been jacked up for a while. Might be that. I wouldn't expect a top mount to creak. Might be a bush, but probably not?

Strange that the wheel wouldn't lift. Were you on a flat surface. Were you using the standard jack?

I was using a trolley Jack, on a flat surface, the suspension runs fine, the top mounts are tight and in place.
It has been jacked recently.
I intend to investigate further during daylight today.

I am in the process of sourcing some FK or Koni Coilovers to take care of that side of things.

I need to take the car into the dealership for the undertray!!!

I think I might be a peasant for the next few months!!!

Just looked at that pic above. Thats for the metal skid plate.

You've probably not got that fitted to you car. I'd say that its the plastic cover you've damaged.

see here

They are about £20 each so it shouldn't break the bank to replace them.
You could fit them yourself to save labour as they are easy to change.

Yup, thanks for that. I've just got back from Audi and I need the two side ones as well, £71 in total. Arriving Friday.

Does your ETOS work with prices then? Mine doesn't seem to?!?

Yeah you can get prices with ETOS. Select Update --> Configuration --> VW+Audi from the menus at the top.

Then click on "internet" in the config window and then click "save".

Close the window and then click on Update --> Price Update --> VW+Audi.

The program should then download a file and update the prices for you.

Then go to Tool --> Settings. Select the Currency & VAT tab and change the VAT amount to 17.5% for A, B and C. Click OK to save.

Now when you double click on an item you should receive the price. Sometime a price will be missing, but most of the time its okay. You can then make and price order forms etc.

[ QUOTE ]
Just looked at that pic above. Thats for the metal skid plate.

You've probably not got that fitted to you car. I'd say that its the plastic cover you've damaged.

[/ QUOTE ]
Doh! Sorry my bad, I was flying around through ETKA faster than my little eyes could cope with! The SG page I got the illustration reference from had notes for the location of skid plate images and for the plastic cover-panels and I came second!

Sorry for the confusion once again, and regards,

Rob.