Self levelling headlight sensor rod (fix or new?)

majortom

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I noticed the other day my headlights seemed a little high on the beam angle, after reading a couple of threads on here I found the sensor on the passenger side in the wheel arch. The sensor is working fine however the metal rod that attaches to the suspension arm has snapped off by the attachment plate (actually it’s the plate that has snapped in half) probably caused by some of the pot holes round my way!

Does anyone know if you can just purchase a new plate or rod? I could look at having it wielded worst case.

Cheers,

MT

If that's the case a warning light should show.

Nope no warning light. Why would that show? Its the rod end plate thats broke connecting it to the suspension arm so the sensor is in a position where it thinks the car is loaded down hence pointing the beam angle high. As soon as I move the rod with the lights on they go up and down no problem.
I simply need to reattached the rod plate to the suspension arm, just need to know if this is an individual part or do they only come with a new sensor? If you can't get them separate then I will need to see if the plate can be wielded.

Cheers,

MT

Id weld it, or reattach with a jubilee clip or something.

is he car lowered?

Its not a separate part, so whole sensor at about £140, only way logically it would snapped tbh, is if the lower arm had been dropped when working on, as its very very unusual to get snapped/damaged on the roads given the design, its a swing arm with a fair bit of play so as to not be ripped apart.

Had the same proplem on mine ,bracket snapped might as well been made out of plastic the plate is not very thick or robust looking.
Typical Audi ,cheaply made bracket ,snaps and you pay a fortune to buy the hole sensor arm and bracket.
Got mine welded ,touch wood been ok since.

I'm getting abs, esp, low tyre lights on the dash then the beam light comes on. Anyone else had this? Hope its just the snapped rod.

Nope, inever had those lights on ,it initially came up with headlight leveling fault on dis .
Then it cleared but the fault was still there because my lights were pointing at the ground.

I have a bit of a puzzler. The factory xenons on my 53 plate SE have decided this weekend to suddenly behave like full beams, meaning I'm dazzling *everyone* I drive past or behind. I've had the wheel off and the bonnet up, adjusters are still doing their job and so is the sensor - nothing is bent or broken that I can see.... Any ideas??? Could really do with them behaving, as I do a lot of motorway driving, at night....

Have you checked the sensor and rod on the rear suspension arm .
Therer's a leveler at the front nearside and one on the rear.

Yeah ignore me, completely forgot there was a sensor on the rear as well - checked it the next morning, hey presto it was ruined! Now bodged in place with electrical tape until I can source/afford a new unit. Seems to be holding up well to be honest!