central locking problems

Mothy69

in gear but clutch slipping
Reaction score
I had 1 key fob working & the other wasnt. Audi reprogrammed the 1 that wasnt, so I had 2 fobs that worked (happy days). A month later I go out to the car & the fob doesn't work.so I go to get the spare & this doesnt work either. I have done nothing to the car.

I've been in to the audi dealer who have said (due to the led in the drivers door) there is a fault in the central locking that needs to be rectified, & once done if the keys don't work, its the thing that controls the central locking (in passenger foot well - as this could have got wet). They have said the central locking fault would have caused the fobs to stop working

They suggested my boot lock as the cause & suggested as a starting point replacing the solenoid & actuator & boot lock to see if this rectifies the central locking issue. They were suggesting my failed rear wiper could have leaked wash through the boot causing the boot lock failure.

If that did not rectify the key fobs not working then they suggested the replacing the (whatever its called) in passenger foot well - at an estimated cost of £800-£1200..

Has anyone any advice, or experience of this, as I want to get it fixed asap

Thanks

(this is an 03 a4 avant)

Last edited:
good to know audi dealers are upto there usual standard ....

get the car scanned by someone local to see if there are any fault codes coming up , this will hopefully give you a clue as to
where the problem is coming from
as a stop gap ..try re-synching the key with the car and see if the remote starts working

vcds will help as it will tell you where the central locking fault is
ie.. which door

it could be a few things that are stopping it
this is why id advise getting it scanned yourself and then googling the fault codes

Reactions: Mothy69
mines basically doing the same thing! but ive had mine scanned and it couldnt even connect to the central locking part. the guy suggested it could simply be a fuse thats out. but it all happened after i changed the key fob batteries. then re synced but only the drivers side worked and now nothing works and the red led in the door isnt on nor do my interior lights come on when the door is open etc.

when you tried to resync did you clear all the remote positions 1st? i did a mk1 TT yesterday & the owner had tried several times to resync. So i did a VCDS scan & it showed the adaption limit had been reached so cleared the faults, cleared all remote positions then just went through remote adaption. Worked straight away

Dualmono

Thanks for the replies. I got it stuck on vcds & their were a shed load of fault codes so cleared them & is lt all came back to life.

I've not had the car that long so if it goes again I should be able to identify it as their won't be an old log off fault codes. That's the theory

No thanks audi dealer

I have a Audi A 4, 2002 model and have the similar problem, It does not lock or unlock with remote keyfob, I thought it was the battery in the keyfob, change the battery, resync keyfobs, checked the damp on passenger foot area, still does not work. Alarm goes off intermittenly (there was a occassion or two when alarm went off while i was driving) so i have to lock/unlock manually and put the key to ignition when it unlocks the whole car.

I went to a independent Audi garage and they scanned it, pulled out Control unit for the central locking systems from the passenger side under the glove compartment and identified thats the problem. This unit is not cheap and with parts and labour it will cost around 500 pounds. 1/6 th of the car price!

They have put back the faulty unit and it started working again but intermittenly. my question is if the unit is faulty, central locking shouldnt work at all, but it does work intermittenly. I am not convinced that its the control unit. any one else has similar issue? Unit looked and feel very dry (not damp) and cable connection to the unit all are intact.