Misfire under load, coil pack????

yorkster001

Reaction score
Trying to investigate a misfire I'm getting when the engine is under load. The misfire is only happens above 2500rpm but then it's quite bad. Pottering round town is fine. Having read the forums alot of people are suggesting coil packs which initially seems logical. Question is, would a failing coli pack cause a constant fault rather than just one over 2500rpm. Initially I got the emission warning light flashing which dissappeared if I eased off but it's now on constantly regardless of speed. Unfortunately I don't have VCDS. I was going to get a new pack and swap out the old ones till I found the culprit but wanted some reassurance I was looking in the right place? Cheers

Spark plug has caused me issues under load before on my previous S3 8L, was a cracked ceramic, also coils, has yours had the coils recalled?

Trying to investigate a misfire I'm getting when the engine is under load. The misfire is only happens above 2500rpm but then it's quite bad. Pottering round town is fine. Having read the forums alot of people are suggesting coil packs which initially seems logical. Question is, would a failing coli pack cause a constant fault rather than just one over 2500rpm. Initially I got the emission warning light flashing which dissappeared if I eased off but it's now on constantly regardless of speed. Unfortunately I don't have VCDS. I was going to get a new pack and swap out the old ones till I found the culprit but wanted some reassurance I was looking in the right place? Cheers

Mine was the same and then eventually 1 of the coil packs just gave up. I changed all 4 which helped but then i also did the plugs aswell (as above). I also found my diverter to be weak so replaced that for the forge diverter. Never had a problem since :)

Mine was the same and then eventually 1 of the coil packs just gave up. I changed all 4 which helped but then i also did the plugs aswell (as above). I also found my diverter to be weak so replaced that for the forge diverter. Never had a problem since :)

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like I'm going down the same road. A local indie scanned the motor for me and as suspected it showed random misfires on cylinder 4. Based on this I took the plunge and grabbed a new coil from the local stealer and so far soo good, no misfires. As my motor approaching 100k I'm thinking of replacing the DV too. Any major benefits to the forged item? If the OEM one has lasted 100k I'll probably go OEM unless I'm missing a trick?

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like I'm going down the same road. A local indie scanned the motor for me and as suspected it showed random misfires on cylinder 4. Based on this I took the plunge and grabbed a new coil from the local stealer and so far soo good, no misfires. As my motor approaching 100k I'm thinking of replacing the DV too. Any major benefits to the forged item? If the OEM one has lasted 100k I'll probably go OEM unless I'm missing a trick?

Id would be tempted to replace the other 3 aswell. Its not unusual for the others to fail after installing one individual coil. I went for the forge mainly because there is less chance of it failing again long term, also with me going k04 hybrid next month, its definately going to handle it. I would go for the revised diverter if your not wanting to spend £170. You will find the part number on another post, these are more reliable than stock. Plus its a frequently asked question :)

The revised oem diverter is much, much improved over the original version. It can also handle a lot more power too, if you go for a Stage 1 or 2 Tune in the future. Not sure why you would pay so much more for Forge or a other Brand unless you have a taste for nice shiney Billet Aluminium...

Cheers
A

As above. I'm running the OEM diverter valve on a stage 1 remap with no issues.

The revised oem diverter is much, much improved over the original version. It can also handle a lot more power too, if you go for a Stage 1 or 2 Tune in the future. Not sure why you would pay so much more for Forge or a other Brand unless you have a taste for nice shiney Billet Aluminium...

Cheers
A

For the sound with the APR carbonio intake, also the fact that ill be running 360bhp and 370ft/lbs of torque. That was the main selling point for me. If you dont jntend on going any further than the k03, go for the rev d, but thats more or less what i said earlier. Plus i got mine for £90 :)